About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Tuesday, March 10, 2020

Reds Bitten By Diamondbacks Power. Luis Castillo Starts Nick Lodolo Gets First Outing


On a rare soggy day in Goodyear, Arizona, Luis Castillo was hit hard in the fourth inning.

In his first attempt at four innings, the Arizona Diamondbacks put together five hits, two for extra bases.  The Diamondbacks put up four runs in the inning after Castillo had no problem with them in the first three innings.

Castillo pitched 3 2/3 innings allowing four runs on seven hits and a walk.  He struck out four.

"I thought Castillo was pretty good the first three innings," Freddie Benevides said.  "He was really locked in.  He left some pitches up.  He got hit around a little bit in that fourth inning but he got his work in."

The Reds jumped to an early lead when Mike Moustakas hit a home run with Nick Castellanos, who singled, on base off Taylor Clarke.

The Diamondbacks hit four home runs to win going away 10-2.  John Hicks hit a home run off Tyler Thornburg.  Josh Rojas and Trayce Thompson hit home runs off Matt Bowman.

The Reds first pick in last year's draft (7th overall), pitched in his first Cactus League game.  He gave up an infield hit to Galli Cribbs and a home run to Kevin Cron, the first two batters he faced but he came back to strike out, Alek Thomas and Geraldo Perdomo.

The 22-year old from Texas Christian University, has been in camp all spring but this was his first game action.

"I felt really confident coming into it," Lodolo said. "Its funny (Caleb) Cotham asked me if I was nervous.  I wasn't nervous. I thought I threw pretty well other than pitch up that Cron got.  Other than that I was happy with it."

"I kept telling myself to keep going," Lodolo said. "It was fun to get out there because I've been throwing bullpens and coming to the games.  Obviously, you get anxious watching everyone else do it.  I actually learned more just throwing bullpens.  I got more time with Caleb one-on-one.  I learned from doing that. I learned to attack hitters."

Lodolo pitched 121 innings between college and eight games at Billings and Dayton (18 1/3 innings).

The Reds haven't told him how many innings they plan for him this season.

The Reds had a split squad. Benevides ran the team in Goodyear.

"I thought he did good," Benevides said.  "The one pitch that he made.  He showed some composure and came back to get the next three batters out.  He's definitely composed.  He's a strike thrower right. That's what his history's been.  It was good to see him bounce back."











No comments:

Post a Comment