About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Monday, March 9, 2020

Reds White Sox In a Dead Heat Under The Sun. Anthony DeSclafani nearly ready


The Reds played a lot of close games last year, 54 in which the margin of victory was within one or two runs.  So far this spring that has been a trend.  Today the Reds and Chicago White Sox played to a 3-3 tie.  It was the Reds' secong straight tie and third in six days.

In all three, the Reds held the lead in the ninth only to allow tha last inning tie.  There are no extra innings in the Cactus League.

In spite of the home run that Yermin Mercedes cracked to center field off Cody Reed, the Reds pitcher had a good day all around.

"Cody just missed with the pitch before the home run," David Bell said.  A called strike with two outs would have put the Reds in the victory column.

The Reds are 7-7-3 this spring.  You can't get more balanced than that.

Anthony DeSclafani had a good four inning stint on the mound, giving up a run on three hits and a walk.  He fanned two.

"I think I have to get ahead of guys a little bit more consistently," DeSclafani said. "When I get to two strikes, I have to put guys away.  That was the only thing I wasn't really pleased about.  It was my third outing. I think it will come around."

The Reds had a good offensive day.

A big key was a Nick Senzel home run to lead off the game against Dylan Cease.  Senzel is recovering from shoulder surgery.

Mark Payton drove in a run with a single.  Scott Schebler had another hit.  Curt Casali had a single andan RBI.  The Reds had six hits and drew five walks, Casali walked with the bases loaded.

"It was a good day offensively with walks," Bell said.

Raisel Iglesias, Robert Stephenson, and Pedro Strop had scoreless innings.  Amir Garrett was good other than giving up a home run to Yasmani Grandal.

Desco was really good," Bell said.  "It was a good day of pitching all around.  I thought Amir looked good other than the home run."















No comments:

Post a Comment