About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Sunday, March 8, 2020

Reds and Trevor Bauer Left With A Lead in Tie Game


Trevor Bauer is the first Reds' starter to pitch four innings.  With four effective innings in which he allowed one run, a home run by Arismendy Alcantara, Bauer declared himself ready.

"i walked a guy that was frustrating," said Bauer, ever the perfectionist.  "I thought the first, second and fouth innings went pretty good."

Those were thi innings in which the Los Angeles Angels failed to score off him. He retired 12 of the 14 batters he faced.

"The home run was a fastball down the middle, 2-0.  It's what happens when you get behind," Bauer said. "My command is good, 94,95 basically no adrenaline. All my stuff is sharp.  I'm ready to go. I'm pretty much always ready to pitch.  I start throwing to live hitters in December.  I come into spring and the first time off the mound, in cleats is a little bit different. One or two outings and I'm good to go."

The Reds used the home run ball to run up the score on the Angels.  Joey Votto, the second batter faced by the Angels, J.C. Romero, singled sharply to left.  One out later Matt Davidson hit his second home run in as many games.

In the third inning, Shogo Akiyama singled.  David Fletcher the Angel's second baseman made a diving stop but Akiyama was down the baseline quickly.  Votto drew his obligatory walk and after Davidson was called out for interfering with the catcher's throw.  Boog Powell homered off Romero's replacement, Jeremy Rhodes.  Powell, who signed a minor league contract in December, had not participated in games since February 23 with a contusion on his right heel.

Akiyama doubled to score Scott Schebler who walked in the fourth inning.  Luis Rengifo couldn't field Schebler's hot ground ball.  It got passed him, allowing Davidson to score.

On the pitcher's side, Brooks Raley gave up three runs in 1 2/3 innings.  R.J. Alaniz pitched a scoreless inning along with Joe Kuhnel.

The Reds led 8-4 in the top of the ninth but the minor league defense betrayed Ryan Hendrix and the Angels tied the game 8-8.  The Reds got a two-out double by Miguel Hernandez but Miguel De Leon grounded out to first to end the game.

"I don't know how many hits Joey has this spring but we talked about getting on base.  He's seen a lot of pitches and is getting on base.  Shogo had a good day," David Bell said.














No comments:

Post a Comment