About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Friday, March 6, 2020

Reds Out Slug Oakland Wade Miley Starts



The Reds sent Wade Miley to face the Oakland Athletics in Mesa and came out with a Cactus League victory.

The Reds had 16 hits in scoring an 11-5 decision.

Shogo Yakiyama and T.J. Friedl had two hits apiece from the leadoff spot, scoring two runs.  Scott Schebler and Alex Blandino hit two doubles each.  Matt Davidson, a power hitting first baseman, who hit 26 home runs for the Chicago White Sox in 2017 and 20 in 2018, hit a three-run home run off A's starter Sean Manaea.  Catcher Francisco Pena had two hits.

Miley gave up an opposite field home run to Matt Olson.  He was charged with two more runs after he reached his pitch count and left the game in the third inning.  David Carpenter gave up a three-run home run to Ramon Laureano.

Miley finished with 2 1/3 innings, allowing four runs on two hits but four walks.

"I was trying to go up and away on him but I missed down and away.  That's his go zone right there.  It was a 10-pitch at bat and he'd seen everything I had," Miley said.  "Overall today, I had a good cutter. I was able to throw the cutter where I wanted to.  The curve and the change up were spotty.  I never could command the curve ball.  A couple times I got ahead in the count. I tried to throw a put-away pitch and just miss. I feel good.  I got up for the third time."

David Bell saw a lot of good things with the Reds; bats.  He is not worried about Miley's outing.

"The stuff is there. I just don't think he's locked in.  It is normal for this time of the year. There are no concerns.  He looks healthy," Bell said.  "Schebler swung the bat very well today.  He made a good play in the outfield.  Really a good day all around for Scott and a lot of our position players."

"Matt Davidson has had a lot of success in his career," Bell said.  "That's why he's here."

The White Sox didn't score after the third inning.

Tyler Thornburg, Matt Bowman, Joel Kuhnel, Brooks Raley, R.J. Alaniz and Jesse Biddle each pitched scoreless innings.  For Biddle it was his first Cactus League game after recovering from arthroscopic surgery.







No comments:

Post a Comment