About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Monday, July 1, 2019

Reds Make Changes To Bullpen - Veteran Zach Duke Makes Room For Rookie



Zach Duke was one of a quartet of Pittsburgh Pirate young arms that was going to turn the franchise around.  Duke, Ian Snell and Paul Maholm were originally drafted by the Pirates and developed into Major Leaguers.  Oliver Perez was only 20-years old with the Pirates but he came to Pittsburgh in a trade with San Diego.

Duke, a 36-year old left hander, was designated for assignment on Monday, which is exactly half way through the 2019 season.  Duke made 30 appearances in 81 games.  He won three games and lost one.  His ERA was 5.01.

"It's tough losing Zach," David Bell said.  "He's been here a long time.  He's been a big part of our team on and off the field.  He's had a great career to this point.  He will be missed."

Duke played for nine teams so far, including two tours with the Reds, in his 15-year big league career.

The Reds recalled Jimmy Herget.

Herget is a 25-year old right handed pitcher with an almost sidearm delivery.  The native of Tampa was taken in the sixth round of the 2015 draft.  He pitched two years with the University of South Florida.  This is his first trip to the big leagues.

Herget has made 176 relief appearances in the Reds' organization, all in relief, coming into this season.  He is 12-11 with a 2.77 ERA in the minors.

This season in Louisville, Herget made 33 relief appearances with a 1-4 record and 3.58.  Herget had an awful April after being in the Reds' camp in Goodyear, Arizona this spring.  He had three outings in which he accumulated one inning and allowed 12 runs.  In his other 30 games, he allowed just three runs in 36-2/3 innings for an 0.74 ERA.  He last pitched on Thursday against Toledo.  He logged 1-2/3 innings of scoreless baseball.

"The first month was a little tough," said Herget after a spring training in which he allowed one run in five innings over four appearances.  "I had a couple bad ones, where I walked too many guys. I had a talk with Jeff (Fassaro).  I just started to attack.  Attack every hitter no matter what the score is.  In the past I've been a late inning pitcher but I wanted to attack and not give any at bats away."

As usual the Louisville manager, Jody Davis pulled a prank on Herget before telling him he'd been recalled.

"When I first got to the clubhouse, Jody called me in and told me that people were upset with me.  Then he said that I'd been traded," Herget said.  "Then he told me that he thought they were in Cincinnati tonight.  When he didn't know what team it was, I thought, ok this is happening."

"It is a dream come true," Herget said.  "Ever since I started playing at four years old it's been a dream.

"Whe









No comments:

Post a Comment