About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Sunday, June 30, 2019

Luis Castillo Makes The All-Star Team, The Reds Lone Representative


The Reds' lone All-Star is ace starting pitcher Luis Castillo, who leads the staff with 7-3 record and a 2.47 ERA.

A surprise pick as the Reds Opening Day starter, Castillo has proven this young coaching staff was correct to name him over veterans Tanner Roark, Sonny Gray and Anthony DeSclafani.

He is third in the National League with his ERA.  He is sixth in the league with 115 strikeouts.  He has the lowest batting average allowed in the league at .178

I'm really, really happy.  I'm grateful to be here.  I'm grateful for all the coaches," Castillo said. "I set goals and this is one that I achieved. Now I'm looking for the Cy Young."

David Bell took pleasure in announcing Castillo's selection in a team meeting before the game.

"That was one of the best honors I've had," Bell said.  "Not only because of the season that he's had and how hard he's worked his whole life and the people who have helped him along the way, it was fun.  Even more than that it is the person that he is and the teammate that he is. He didn't know. To be able to tell him and see his face in front of the people he cares about was a personal honor for me.  He absolutely deserves it.  It is one more thing for him to build on in his development.  It will be fun to watch."

Castillo came to Cincinnati in minor deal before the 2017 season for Dan Straily.

"The trade to the Reds gave me the opportunity.  Things have worked out very well for me and the team.  They trusted me to be a Major League pitcher," Castillo said through interpreter Julio Morillo.
"









No comments:

Post a Comment