About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Monday, July 1, 2019

Brewers Use Five Run Inning To Defeat Reds - Christian Yelich Hits His 30th Home Run





Lorenzon Cain's fifth home run off Tyler Mahle,  lit the match to a five-run frame that sent the Milwaukee Brewers to a 8-6 win over the Reds.

Mahle pitched four hitless innings until Brewers, rookie Keston Hiura hit his sixth home run to open the fifth.

"I was a little shaky the first couple innings.  I got away with some things.  They hit a few balls hard,' Mahle said.  "From the third on I felt pretty good about it.  I babied a splitter to Hiura.  He trusted me to hold the lead and I blew it.  It is the worst when the manager has faith in you and you blow it."

Matching scoreless innings with Mahle, Adrian Houser allowed four hits through five innings but quickly exited after Jesse Winker's 14th home run left to the opposite field in left.  Joey Votto walked and Eugenio Suarez launched his 18th home run to left center.  Suarez had two hits in his third straight game.

"Tyler's been getting stronger as the game goes on," David Bell said.  "He's been impressive.  He continues to get better.  I just think he gets better as the season goes on."

Cain got one of the runs back with a line drive home run to right, his fifth.  Eric Thames legged out a hit to the hole at shortstop.  David Bell took the ball from Mahle and handed it to David Hernandez.  Hiura singled to center and Ben Gamel tied the game with an RBI double to left.  Pinch hitter Ryan Braun flied out to shallow right.  Tony Saladino walked to load the bases. Hernandez walked in a run when Yasmani Grandall took first, bringing Christian Yellich to the plate with one out.  Yellich singled to score Gamel.  Mike Moustakas gave the Brewers a three-run lead with a sacrifice fly to left.  Cain closed the inning by flying out to left.

"You can't take away from what our bullpen's done," Bell said.  "David has gotten us through some tough situations.  It just didn't work tonight."

Hernandez last two outings have been bad but it came after a streak where he pitched in seven straight games, 8-2/3 innings without giving up a run.

"We just took the lead the inning before.  That's what made that inning so bad," Hernandez said.  "These are big games within our division and right before the All-Star game.  I just didn't have it.  There is something mechanical.  It's not good when you're trying to adjust and you feel like you're doing something different every pitch."

Suarez hit his 19th home run with Votto on base off hard throwing Josh Hader to close the gap to one run.

"When he was going through a lull, he continued to play good defense," Bell  "He's such a good player.  He continues to compete.  When you do that, you're going to start hitting again."

"I try to do my best everytime," Suarez said.  "I just try to be more relaxed.  I try to see the ball come to me longer and react with my swing.  I have a chance if I see it.  If I don't see it, I don't have a chance."


Yelich hit his 30th home run with Grandall on base with a walk off Robert Stephenson.  It was a high fly that carried into the front row in the left field corner.

Phil Ervin singled to drive home Jose Iglesias to provide the final margin.  It was his third RBI in the last two games.  Jose Peraza grounded out to end the game and Jeremy Jefferes earned his first save.






No comments:

Post a Comment