About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Friday, August 19, 2016

Joey Votto Backs Tim Adleman With A Home Run Michael Lorenzen Goes Deep




Joey Votto's three-run home run in the first inning backed a credible performance by the man who came from nowhere, Tim Adleman in a 9-2 win over the Los Angeles Dodgers.

It snapped a string of nine straight wins by the Dodgers over the Red.

Bud Norris walked Billy Hamilton and surrendered a single to Ivan De Jesus Jr., playing in place of Zack Cozart.  Votto lifted his 20th home run of the season onto the grassy knoll beyond the centerfield fence.

http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/
Adleman was drafted in the 24th round by the Baltimore Orioles in 2010 and released in 2012.  He signed with the Reds out of an independent league in October 2013 and spent two years with Bakersfield and Pensacola.  At 28-years old, he was invited to his first Major League camp this spring in Goodyear, Arizona.

Adleman pitched in four games, pitching 4.1 innings and was lit up for 11 earned runs. He was dead last on the spring training stat sheet with a 22.85 ERA.  He turned it around in Louisville and earned a start with three starts and a 2-0 record with a 4.24 ERA.  Adleman made four starts for the Reds in May.  He had a 1-1 record with a 3.72 ERA.  A strained right oblique forced him out of his start on May 19 after 3 1/3 innings of three-hit, two-run baseball.

The Reds had runners on first and third with no outs after the Votto home run in the first. Norris pitched out of further trouble coaxing a shallow fly to left by Scott Schebler and a double play grounder from Tony Renda.

Adleman gave up a two-out triple in the first and jams in ehe second, third and fifth to log five scoreless innings. But not before he contributed some offense.There were some big plays in that game.

"Adleman was able to stay comfortable in high stress situations," Bryan Price said.

 "Getting out of those situations had a lot to do with the defense," Adleman said. "Renda went up against the wall in left. Billy used every inch of the ball park to make a catch. You have to tip your cap to Tucker for calling the right pitch in those situations. I'm not a guy that's going out there to strike out 10 or 12. If you're going to pitch that way you have to be able to get out of those situations after a couple singles and men on base."

 Eugenio Suarez reached on a single off Norris to open the Reds' fourth.  He went to second on a wild pitch and to third on a ground out. Renda's pop fly to right was not deep enough to score Suarez.  The Dodgers walked Tucker Barnhart intentionally to pitch to Adleman.  The big right-hander ripped a double to the gap in rightcenter for his first Major League hit and RBI's.  Votto drove in his fourth run of the game by taking a walk with the bases loaded.

"I don't think you can count on five RBI from your pitchers every night," Price said. "They had a chance to get out of that inning by walking Barnhart and he hit a two-strike pitch into the gap. That was a big hit not only because we extended the lead but it forced Norris to throw more pitches."

Adleman was calm as he could be but delighted about the hit.

 "The hit was pretty cool. I thought they would walk Tucker," Adleman said.. "I figured if I'm going to hit just don't punch out. The swing on the second strike was pretty weak. I thought he might try to go high on me to get me to chase and I was able to get the bat on it."


Ross Ohlendorf allowed a run in relief in the seventh inning.

Michael Lorenzen bailed out Ohlendorf on his first day back from bereavement leave.  He entered the seventh with one out and runners at first and second.  He got the two outs to end the threat.

Lorenzen, a former outfielder at Cal-State Fullerton, hit his first Major League home run with two runners on off Pedro Baez to extend the Reds' leave from the death of his father.

"The Lorenzen home run was emotional for all of us," Price said.. "If you stay in this game long enough you still think you won't see anything like that It was so improbable. It was majestic and poetic The emotions were palpable and got stronger when he got to the dugout. The curtain call showed there was some awareness in the crowd."

Lorenzen's father left his familty when Michael was in elementary school.  His father had to battle drugs and alcohol.  His father was in his life even after he left the home.

“Definitely, everything happens for a reason," Lorenzen said.. "I just praise God for something like that happening. It’s something special, not just for me, but for my family, Lorenzen said. ”Everything that happened tonight, I don’t think I’ll ever feel that way again. My family needed that. It was just a great feeling to do this with everyone watching.”

Lorenzen's emotions got the bet of him after the third out of the seventh inning. His teammates helped him get together to take his at bat.


 “Even after the third out of my first inning I needed to go back into the bathroom because I broke down," Lorenzen said.. "There were some teammates who helped me out and I was able to go out and hit”.  

Lorenzen changed walkup music to The Who:to honor his father.

“My dad was a Who fanatic," Lorenzen said.. "He took me to a concert. He says I throw so hard because I used to play the drums on the floor. That’s one of his favorite stories. I’ve been listening to the Who the past two days. Helped me have good memories of growing up”.  

The Dodgers scored a run off Keyvius Sampson in a mop up role.

No comments:

Post a Comment