About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Sunday, March 2, 2014

Detroit Builds Reds Win Over Rockies - Tony Cingrani Sharp





Brayan Pena and Ramon Santiago played for the Detroit Tigers last season.

On Saturday the pair of former Tigers braved the wet grounds at Goodyear Ballpark to produce the Reds 3-2 win over the Colorado Rockies.

http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/
Tony Cingrani was sharp in his two innings, showing progress on the slider he is developing.

Pena narrowly missed his first spring home run, hitting a ball high off the centerfield fence off Rockies' starter Jordan Lyles.  Ramon Santiago, playing shortstop singled to score Pena, stole second, went to third when Jordan Pacheco's throw went to centerfield.  Santiago scored when Lyles threw a wild pitch.

Neftali Soto, a day removed from 26th birthday doubled in a run for the Reds.

Tony Cingrani, who threw fastballs more often as a percentage of pitches except for C.C. Sabathia, struck out the side in his second scoreless inning, using his new weapon.

"I had a lot of zip but I attacked hitters with the off-speed pitch," Cingrani said. "I was talking with Sean Marshall about using the same arm slot so it looks like a fastball. It will be a real good pitch for me."

Reds manager Bryan Price liked what he saw.

"Cingrani was sharp," Price said. "He got his changeup over and threw a couple of good breaking balls. He had good fastball location. It was a good start for him."

Chien-Ming Wang pitched for Cincinnati for the first time this spring. He allowed one run and five hits in two innings, striking out two.

The 34-year-old right-hander from Taiwan was signed in the offseason to add rotation depth. He is working on off-speed pitches to complement his sinking fastball.

"I am very happy to be in the major league camp," Wang said. "I mixed in more changeups and change of speeds. The whole spring I've been working on the changeup and curveball."

No comments:

Post a Comment