About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Reds Bounce Back to Beat Angels



The resilient Reds bounced back after losing another key player as they did when Joey Votto went down last season for 48 games.

Brandon Phillips, who was looking forward to settling into the number 2 slot in the batting order, was asked to hit cleanup even though he is not the poster child for that slot in the order.

But on cue Tuesday, the day that Ryan Ludwick was placed on the disabled list.  Phillips replaced his fallen comrade and delivered a three-run home run off C.J. Wilson.  It was the key blow in the Reds' 5-4 win.

"When you hit fourth, your goal is to drive in runs," Phillips said.  "That's what I tried to do. I'm not worried about batting average. I'm not worried about advancing runners.  I worry about driving in runs."

Phillips led off the second inning with a drive to the warning track that didn't leave the playing field.

"That one made me mad," Phillips said. "I felt like Willie Mays Hayes in part two (the movie Major League).  I put it on the board. The second one knew I got that one."

Walks to Chris Heisey, who got the start in leftfield as Ludwick's replacement, and Votto set the table for Phillips to be a hero.

Jay Bruce (Bruce turned 26 today) doubled and advanced to third on an error.  Todd Frazier delivered Bruce with a solid single.

Wilson retired the first ten Reds to start the game before he inexplicably lost his control.

Mat Latos, who has a history of lousy Aprils, matched Wilson zero for zero.  He walked Albert Pujols but Pujols was caught stealing.  Chris Iannetta singled and advanced to third on a ground rule double by Mike Trout.  Latos retired Erick Aybar to end the threat.

Latos gave up a solo home run to Howie Kendrick in the fifth and a two-run homer to Alberto Callaspo in the seventh.  That blow ended the night for Latos.  Latos allowed three runs on seven hits and a walk but struck out eight.

The bullpens took over J.J. Hoover held the lead through seven.

Sean Burnett walked two of the three batters he faced.  Kevin Jepsen struck out Phillips and Bruce.

The Angels tied the game in the eighth.  Aybar hit an infield single off Jonathan Broxton.  Broxton got Pujols to hit a one-hopper to Frazier but the thirdbaseman kicked it.  Josh Hamilton grounded out to put runners on second and third with one out.  Aybar scored on a ground out to short.

The Reds avoided extra innings on the second game of the season.

Left-hander Scott Downs was setup to face Shin-Soo Choo, Heisey and Votto.  Two of the three being left-handed hitters.

Downs hit Choo with a pitch and Heisey bunted Choo to second.

Then came a decision for Angel manager Mike Scioscia.  Should he walk one of the best hitters in the National League or pitch to him?


"Walking Joey Votto in that situation is always in the back of your mind," Sciosia said. "The matchup was to pitch Downsy against Votto. If we get him and don't have to pitch to Phillips, we have Downs set up for Bruce.  It was pick your poison. They have a strong middle of the lineup."

Votto hit a hard sinking line drive to the right of Albert Pujols, who has a history of bad knees.  Pujols got a glove on it but it got past him.  Kendrick the secondbaseman couldn't come up with it either and Choo scored to give the Reds its first win of the season.

"I didn't expect them to walk me," Votto said.  "I've been presumptuous in the past and been burned because of it. I wasn't stunned.  I want to be surprised every time they walk me.  I think that's how you should play it.  I needed to be prepared for whatever was presented to me."










No comments:

Post a Comment