About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Thursday, April 4, 2013

Reds Play 20,000th Game Today Against the Los Angeles Angels






Dating back to the American Association (the predecessor of the National League) in 1882 the Cincinnati Reds have played 19,999 games coming into Thursday.

The Cincinnati Red Stockings, Redlegs, Reds own a record of 10,092-9,768 with 139 ties, a .504 winning percentage.

The Reds are 5-3 against the Angels and are 105-132 in interleague play.

The lineup for the historic game:

Shin-Soo Choo CF
Chris Heisey LF
Joey Votto 1B
Brandon Phillips 2B
Jay Bruce RF
Todd Frazier 3B
Zack Cozart SS
Ryan Hanigan C
Bronson Arroyo P

They will face Joe Blanton.

Sean Marshall hasn't pitched since March 22.  The left-hander has some shoulder fatigue and has been throwing on the side and getting treatment.

"Spring training was so long, I think I peaked a little early," Marshall said.  "I have a little fatigue.  I should be ready by Friday. The guys in the bullpen has picked me up and we had the off day. They picked me up when I was down. Hopefully, I can pick them up sometime during the season when they are down."

Marshall felt hopeless on Monday when the Reds and Angels played 13 innings.

"I was pacing," Marshall said.  "I was actually throwing (in the bullpen) when Broxton was warming up but I was 75 percent.  We didn't want to have any setbacks."

Chris Heisey was hit in the nose with a ball thrown by catcher Chris Iannetta on Wednesday night. The ball glanced off secondbaseman Howie Kendricks glove and Heisey's finger tip but had enough force to cause some puffing in his face.

"That was a tough one to take," Heisey said.  "I don't know if I saw stars but I was close."

Dusty Baker said, "It shows he can take a punch."

No comments:

Post a Comment