About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Thursday, April 4, 2013

The Reds Beat the Los Angeles Angels and Albert Pujols for the Second Straight Day



The Reds are now 10,093-9,768 all-time with a 5-4 win over the dastardly Albert Pujols and the Los Angeles Angels.

The Reds took two of the three games from a team that some think are a World Series team.  Pujols and former Red Josh Hamilton were relatively quiet in the series as Reds pitchers struck out a three-game total of 36 for an average of 12 per game for the mathmatically impaired.

After a frustrating 13 inning 3-1 loss on opening day, the Reds bounced back to take a pair of 5-4 decisions.

Dusty Baker was so happy to get Pujols, Hamilton and their young cohort Mike Trout out of town that he would be willing to drive their bus.

Pujols was 1-for-11 but still managed to drive in two runs on Thursday.  Josh Hamilton was 1-for-12 and struck out with the tying run on second against Aroldis Chapman on Thursday.

Mike Trout was 4-for-15 with two doubles but last season's Rookie of the Year hit the ball very hard several times.

"We had excellent pitching.  You have to do that because that team has excellent players.  Those guys didn't get unleashed. Their big boys were caged the entire series.  We feel fortunate to win two out of three," Baker said.  "That Mike Trout, I'll tell you I'd hate to try to tackle him."

Joey Votto and Jay Bruce didn't hit well either but Todd Frazier, Chris Heisey and Shin-Soo Choo picked up the slack, clubbing home runs against former Philadelphia Phillie, Joe Blanton.Choo has been getting on base for the Reds' which is exactly why the Reds acquired the Korean born centerfielder.

"Choo has a lot of talent," Baker said.  "And there is a lot more in there. He'll get even better I think.  These guys were a little easier to play them because he knows them.  He was hitting .440 against (Jered) Weaver, who was the Angels opening day starter.

"Dusty gave me the lineup card for my first home run in Cincinnati," Choo said.  "When you lead off you have a good chance to get a fastball on the first pitch. I was looking for one. Weaver, I've faced a lot.  Blanton I haven't faced that much.  The last time I faced him was three years ago. I watched video.  Most pitchers I haven't faced in the National League. I ask Jay Bruce."

Choo was on base twice in four at-bats.

"I am focused on getting on base," Choo said.  "We have a great lineup."

Heisey is happy to get his opportunity and eager to make the most of it.  One caution he has is not trying too hard.

"It is great to have the backing of your manager.  He's always told me that I hit the ball as hard as anyone in the lineup," Heisey said.  "I actually feel I'm not too relaxed but I'm relaxed because I've been looking for an opportunity to start but not a lot of people have given me the confidence to go out and do it.  So, I don't feel the pressure."

Bronson Arroyo left spring training sharp and it has carried over into the season.

Arroyo pitched six innings, allowing three runs on eight hits and a walk.  He struck out five.

"That's the same outing that Bronson had in spring training.  He's been sharp," Baker said.

Arroyo said he felt as comfortable in spring training as he's ever felt.

"This was about an average game for me in spring training.  I threw a lot of strikes," Arroyo said.  "I didn't shut them down completely but this is a big league ball club.  I didn't feel exceptionally strong but my command was there. It was a lineup I was completely unfamiliar with and they weren't familiar with me.  I have less trouble with a team whose power is predominately right-handed.  Albert Pujols I faced a lot and I'm sure he gave them some information. But it was a lineup that doesn't change its approach a whole lot and for that reason we were able to exploit a little bit of their weaknesses."

The home runs gave Arroyo breathing room even though the wind was blowing in toward the batter.

"It was huge.  It was cold out, the wind was blowing in. You don't expect that.  Albert hit a ball off me that would have been out of the stadium on another day but the wind held it up like a kite," Arroyo said.


No comments:

Post a Comment