About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Reds' Select the Contract of Speedy Derrick Robinson







If Derrick Robinson is not as fast as Billy Hamilton, it would take high tech photo equipment to prove it.

Robinson impressed every one with his speed and overall play in Arizona last month.  The 25-year old speedster from Gainsville, Florida had a chance to play in the Gators defensive backfield but chose to sign a contract with the Kansas City Royals out of PK Yonge High School in Gainsville.

Robinson is a switch hitter which helped the Reds make the decision to bring him up to replace Ryan Ludwick, who had surgery to repair cartilage in his right shoulder that popped out of its socket on Monday.  Ludwick's head-first slide into third base three innings into the season caused the damage that will leave him out of action for an estimated 13-14 weeks.

Before deciding on Robinson the Reds mulled over several options that included Denis Phipps, Donald Lutz and Billy Hamilton.

Dusty Baker broke down the reasoning for choosing Robinson.

"He had a real good spring for us," Baker said. "He can help us in a lot of ways.  He can pinch run, pinch hit. He's a switch hitter and an outstanding outfielder. He can give Choo a breather in centerfield sometime.  He's a true centerfielder.  We need some speed."

The batting order is effected as well as outfield.

"I promised Brandon, that I'd leave him in one spot in the order.  So cleanup is where I'm going to leave him for awhile.  He's not you prototypical cleanup hitter but he's done it before.  He's driven in close to 100 runs and scored 100 runs," Baker said.

"I thought about Frazier but he's too young," Baker said.  "I thought about Heisey but he's really not that kind of hitter to bat there. I need to break up some strikeouts.  We have a lot of guys that are prone to strikeouts between Joey (Votto), (Jay) Bruce, Frazier.  I pulled some stats today we've got Heisey.  We have guys that strikeout every fourth or fifth at-bat.  We have to break these guys up."

Choo will remain in centerfield.

"Choo is equal to Heisey in centerfield.  We don't want to tear up everything," Baker said.

We will give Heisey the nod first.  "I'm a Heisey fan," Baker said.  "I hope he doesn't put a lot of pressure on himself.  We want to give Heisey his turn, like we're giving Frazier his turn."

The Reds thought about Denis Phipps.

"We thought about Phipps. He has pretty good power numbers," Baker said.

They thought about Donald Lutz.

"We thought about big Lutz but he still needs to play," Baker said. "He's in Double-A. He's coming on but not for a role that's meant to be a part-time thing."

A lot of fans want Billy Hamilton right now but that would be a big mistake after watching him in person this spring.

"A lot of people want Hamilton but he has a lot to learn," Baker said of the phenom that set the professional record for stolen bases at 155 last season in A in Bakersfield and Double-A in Pensacola.
"We still don't know how he's going to do in Triple-A first."

"One thing we don't have is a lot of speed," Baker said.  "We need some speed.  I love speed.  We need some contact (hitting) guys.  So we can start runners 2-2 or 3-2 because we have a lot of swing and miss guys.  People wonder why they don't run more. It is because you just run into outs when you have swing and miss guys."

"I go Heisey here in the first place," Baker said.  "I heard of him from Candy Maldonado, who played winter ball with Heisey.  It was a former teammate of mine and I trust his judgement.  So, Heisey.  This is his opportunity to get extended play. I'm making it as easy on him as I can batting in front of Joey Votto.  Now it's up to him.  All I can do is give guys opportunity.  Nobody gives you anything in this world unless you're a trust fund baby.  One more thing on Heisey it is how he handles playing every day. That's where the strong stand up.  I'm pulling for Heisey."

No comments:

Post a Comment