About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

The Big Test Is Out of Joey Votto's Way

The Reds are an amazing 28-14 without the services of Joey Votto.  The Dayton Dragons also picked up the pace following Votto's exit from the game in a 9-3 win over the West Michigan White Caps.

It was just two at bats and one chance in the field but the fact that Votto was on the field was big for him.

"It went all right.  I have a ways to go. I've been off for almost six weeks now, it's not too comfortable quite yet," Votto said.

Votto walked on five pitches in his first at bat and didn't have to take the bat off his shoulders.  He swung and missed at a pitch early in the count of his second at bat, fouled off a 3-2 pitch then struck out swinging.

Swinging the bat isn't his main concern.

"It was nice to face live pitching but I don't think it will take very long to get back in the swing of things.  I felt pretty good today," Votto said.

He didn't get to run much.  His walk came with two outs and Yorman Rodriguez flied out routinely for the third out, so Votto merely had a jog around second base.  His lone fielding chance other than taking throws from the infield, was a one high-hop ground ball that came directly to him.  Without moving he gloved it and made an easy throw to thirdbase to throw the West Michigan White Cap's Jason King out at third.

"My concern isn't my swing it's the other things, running the bases, playing defense and not being concerned about how my knee reacts," Votto said.

Jeff Ferrell, the 21-year old West Michigan starting pitcher, was visibly pleased that he struck out Votto.  Karma caught up to the righthander from Greenvilled, North Carolina.  Yorman Rodriguez belted his sixth home run for the Dragons as Votto was stowing his bat.  Juan Silva went back-to-back with his seventh long ball.



"Just like the Reds, I've noticed when I leave games or leave the team, the team starts playing really, really well," said the 2010 NL MVP.  "I didn't bat in the (bottom) fifth. It wasn't for any physical reason.  It was just me being a good teammate and getting the heck out of there and letting somebody out take over."

Votto was in fact the only Dayton starter without one of the 15 hits the young low A team collected on the night.  Even catcher Yovan Gonzalez, who got the thrill of pinch hitting for the Reds' star, hit safely.

Votto plans to come back earlier Wednesday and the goal is to get three at bats.

The Dayton Dragons hold a continuing record for consecutive sellouts by a professional team and Tuesday was no exception.  Votto joked, "I was hoping I didn't cause them to interrupt their sellout streak."

Fans like Emma Barth were excited to see Votto and it was obvious as I road the elevator with her to the press box.  The crowd gave Votto a heroes welcome, a drastic difference from his developmental seasons in Dayton in 2003 and 2004.

"It was nice to hear the reaction of the crowd.  I was very appreciative of that," Votto said as he reflected on his time in the Gem City.  "They certainly treated me better than when I was here.  It's nice to be back.  I'm astonished with the fans, who turn out in droves.  The grounds crew keeps the field nice.  It is a great place to play."







No comments:

Post a Comment