About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Losing No-Hitter Does Not Haunt Bronson Arroyo

Bronson Arroyo held the Milwaukee Brewers hitless for 7-1/3 innings on Tuesday.

Taylor Green followed a walk to George Kottaras with a double down the right field line to break it up.

There was no disappointment visible in Arroyo's body language after the fly ball found the very edge of fair territory to prevent Arroyo from one of baseball's most heralded achievements.

Arroyo has a personality that doesn't allow for mood swings.  He is the same person whether he gives up 10 runs in an inning, like he did twice during the Reds division tittle in 2010.

But wouldn't getting so close to such a notable event be a disappointment?

"No losing the lead does.  Giving up a no-hitter doesn't even equate in the equation.  I could care less.  Losing the lead pissed me off.  If I keep it at 3-2 and Stubbs hits the home run, it's 4-2 and we win the ballgame, I'm as happy as if I pitched a no-hitter."

Winning the game eased the pain of losing the lead.

"Winning the game obviously makes it much better.  At the end of the day, at a personal level, I grind every day of the year to put wins next to my name, period.  For this ballclub to win games and for three months man, I've been throwing the ball pretty good and to have three wins, is just frustrating.  The ballclub's doing good and I'm glad about that, but the fact that I don't have a lot of wins is irritating."

The lack of wins on his record dwarfs the personal achievement that a no-hitter brings.

"A no-hitter is purely icing on top of the cake. It is all luck and chance in a damn good day, that's all.  You don't feel that way about wins and losses.  Giving up a three-run lead is just terrible. Winning 3-0 with five outs left to go in the game and to give up the lead is just ridiculous," Arroyo said.






Professionally edited by ML Schirmer
for proofreading services
Call 513-240-3120

No comments:

Post a Comment