About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Brandon Phillips Leaves Game With Brewers

Brandon Phillips was hit in the head on a late slide by Aramis Ramirez on an attempted steal of second base in the third inning.

Phillips fielded the throw from Devin Mesoraco but was inadvertently hit in the head by Ramirez arm as Phillips made the tag for the out.

Phillips was able to deliver an RBI single in the bottom of the third inning but was removed from the game in the top of the sixth for precautionary reasons.

"I know what kind of slide it was.  It was a late slide or something.  Maybe he got me with his arm or something.  He (Ramirez) hit me right in the temple," Phillips said.

He was seeing stars and his balance was off.  The training staff gave Phillips some preliminary tests of his balance.

"I was getting dizzy out there.  Dusty came to me and asked if I was alright.  He said I was putting my head down a lot," Phillips said.  "I feel like I'm not all the way there right now (20 minutes after the game).  I'm alright, I think. I feel like I could have stayed in there but if I feel like I feel right now, I won't try to play."

"I was blinking my eyes when I hit that single," Phillips said.  "I don't know how I hit that ball honestly.  I was just up there swinging the bat."





2 comments:

  1. It didn't appear to be a spikes high situation. Are you sure he didn't hit him with his arm?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was his arm. Phillips did not know what hit him. The pressbox announcement said he was kicked in the head.

    ReplyDelete