About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Aroldis Chapman Is On the Wrong Kind of Roll For Dusty

Aroldis Chapman turned two summersaults to celebrate his ninth save of the season against the Milwaukee Brewers on Tuesday.  The welcome event came after the fireballing lefthander blew four saves and suffered a loss in the last 10 games.

While the athletic display of gymnastics may have been Olympic Quality, there was no gold medal from Dusty Baker, only a hot lecture on the golden rule.

Baker is old school and Chapman may want to get on board.

Baker did not take kindly to a media member's attempt at humor.

"Are practicing your gymnastics?' the reporter asked.

"What are you talking about?" Baker asked  "Aroldis," the scribe said.

"That's not funny, not to me," Baker said in a most serious tone.

"It's no joke to me.  It's been addressed already and it's over," Baker said.  "I know he's happy and things were going poorly for him but he's got to demonstrate it a different way.  He understands, now."

Baker was asked if he apologized to the Brewers.

"That's between us and the Brewers," Baker said.  "Aramis (Ramirez) was one of my team members (as a player with the Cubs when Baker managed them).  Ron Roenicke (the Brewers manager) was one of my teammates.  He knows me.  He knows me very well.  He knows how I am and he knows how I do things.  He was a young player when I was one of the leaders on that team, so he knows me."

Roenicke broke into the major leagues with the Los Angeles Dodgers in 1981 when Baker was a veteran on the team.



No comments:

Post a Comment