About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Sunday, May 1, 2011

Homer Bailey Season Debut Targeted For May 10

Homer Bailey's odyssey, the long journey to get back into the Reds starting rotation is about complete.

His start last night for Louisville against Norfolk brought good results.  Bailey felt normal soreness this morning.

"I'm excited to get back into competition," Bailey said.  "There is a day off that is in there so I may throw again in Dayton.  It makes sense.  If I were to pitch on the sixth, it would push the other guys back to seven days or I'd have to pitch on the fourth with three days rest and that's not a good idea, coming off a rehab."

Bailey has prided himself on his better control

"Until yesterday, I was keeping it to one walk a game.  Yesterday, I walked two but there were a couple questionable calls.  I think I threw the ball very well."

Dusty Baker is encouraged.

"I talked to (Rick) Sweet.  He told me Homer was throwing very well and Cueto too," Baker said.  "Homer goes out there to win not just to get his innings in.  That's why I think he is going to be big here.  He doesn't go out there to go five or six innings.  He goes out to finish the game.  He's a 'one more' guy.  Everytime I go out there he tells me just one more."

"I've almost been too pitch efficient," Bailey said.  "Like last night, I threw 91 pitches into the seventh inning.  I would reach my innings limit before my pitch count limit."

No comments:

Post a Comment