About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Reds Come Home On A High Note Beat Tribe 8-3

The Reds finish in Goodyear with a 17-14-1 record but the best news for Dusty Baker is that he didn't lose another pitcher today.

Bronson Arroyo has mono but he conquered that.  His only problem was the Choo Flu.

Arroyo handled most of the tribe but Cleveland's Chief Nokahomer made Arroyo sneeze and weeze.

Sin Soo Choo hit four home runs off Arroyo last season, two in Cincinnati and two in Cleveland.  Now he got him twice in Goodyear.

"Bronson threw the ball great.  He's feeling better, looking better and acting better.  He's on the backside of being sick.  He threw strikes, quality strikes.  If it wasn't for Sin Soo Choo, he wouldn't have given up anything," Baker said.

Arroyo threw 100 pitches.

"I didn't have the best command.  They hit the ball hard right at some people but I got my 100 pitches in.  I'll see how I feel tomorrow.  It's a good little test for me."

Arroyo wanted to stay on the mound longer.

"That's Bronson.  He comes to pitch," Baker said.

One reason he wanted to stay is Choo.

"He hits everything I throw," Arroyo said.  "I wanted to face him a third time.  I was going to tell him everything I through to see how he'd deal with it."

Jonny Gomes struggled this spring but hit .363 in his last nine games.  He hit his fifth home run off Justin Masterson.  That tied him with Chris Heisey for the team lead.

Jay Bruce hit .327.

Juan Francisco finished with an eight-game hitting streak.  He and Joey Votto tied with 14 RBI

Brandon Phillips ended with a 10-game hitting streak and a .347 overall average.

Drew Stubb hit .296 in his last 11 games.  He hit a long opposite field home run against Jon Danks and the White Sox on Monday.

Paul Janish hit .350 with five RBI in his last seven games.

Ramon Hernandez was 4-for-11 in his last four games.

Votto hit .294 for the spring.  He is a notorious slow starter.  He hit .371 with three home runs and 12 RBI in his last 12 games.

"That's what we want.  We want our hitters hot at the same time,"  Baker said.  "Most guys can't just turn it on once the season starts.

No comments:

Post a Comment