About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Passion For Opening Day Is Building As Reds Head Home

Dusty Baker turns 62 in June.  When most people are looking forward to retirement at that age, Baker ain't ready for it.


He was asked this morning if he still gets butterflies.  The question barely left the lips when he responded.


"Heck yeah.  Number one I was a little nervous this morning when I left the house.  You just think spring training is over you get to start it again.  You start wondering about what will be.  You won't know how this year's going to turn out.  When I was in the car, I was thinking the next time I make this trip out here will be next spring training," Baker said.


As one phase to 2011 ends the joy of the regular season is anticipated by fans, players, coaches managers just like when they were little kids.



"Even after all these years there is still butterflies, heck yeah.  No matte how long you do this to me if you still have the same joy as you did as a kid.  You remember the opening day little league parade.  I do.  I see the joy in my son with his opener.  It got rained out and I saw the disappointment that he felt.  I feel the same emotions.  It's the best game.  It's the best life a man can have.  There's ups and downs.  There's disappointments, joy.  But it's all part of it."

Edinson Volquez, the opening day starter was all smiles. 

"I very excited.  It's big time.  It's my first time to pitch opening day, especially in Cincinnati where everyone is excited about the season to start," Volquez said.

The Reds plan to have players a red carpet in the Fan Zone walk Saturday night.  

"That sounds good," Volquez said.


Mike Leake isn't pitching on opening day.

"I'm excited.  I'm going to enjoy the game," Leake said.

Leake made the team out of spring training last year but stayed back in Goodyear until his first turn came up.



No comments:

Post a Comment