About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Votto Believes He Can Improve

The National League's Most Valuable Player still feels that he can be better.

What?

"Yes, I'd like to be more efficient.  I'd like to be a better teammate.  I'd like to be a better defensive player," Votto said.  "As far as a hitter, I feel like I wasted a lot of at bats last year."

Votto did not notice that he was pitched around last year as Dusty Baker observed.

"I honestly feel that every pitcher came after me," Votto said.  "The guys batting behind me, one looked like an MVP candidate early in the year (Scott Rolen) and Jonny (Gomes) looked like an all-star halfway through the season.  I think the guys batting so well behind me completely justified why I didn't feel they pitched around me."

"The ultimate guy who got pitched around was Barry Bonds said that he assumed every pitch was going to be a strike and every pitcher was going to come after him.  That's the most difficult thing about our job is to always be ready," Votto said.

Votto is not the type to want to lead but he wants to help the team as much as he can in the clubhouse.

"There is always room for improvement.  I'm starting to transition.  I'm still a young player.  The first few years, I played the role of the quiet rookie.  Keep your mouth shut.  I hope that in someway, I can help out in some way to make the team better and vice versa.  I think the team makes me better.  I don't see myself as a leader."

The attention for someone that doesn't seek it, could be hard to deal with but Votto sees it as helpful.

"Not to sound arrogant but I've been through things this off season that can help me get better.  I have the ability to compartmentalize that aspect.  Now its time to go to work."

The attention has come at a pace that suits Votto, who likes his privacy.

"It has paced itself very well," Votto said.  "It isn't like Aroldis, and Jay (Bruce) or Homer (Bailey) when a few years ago.  It kind of gets dumped on them. I've earned it.  I've had enough time to desensitize myself to it."

No comments:

Post a Comment