About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Rain For First Reds Workout

All the players have reported and are ready to workout but the Goodyear weather is not ready.

Jonny Gomes walked past me as the wind was whipping, bending palm trees and pushing tumbleweed.

"What's up with this," said Gomes, who lives in the Phoenix area.  "Its not just the wind.  We haven't seen clouds for months.


Then I stood around as the team went into the batting cages to run, with former Fairfield High School baseball coach, Gary Yeats.  Yeats retired to Sedona, Arizona but the last two years has been working security at the Reds spring training facility.

His Fairfield teams won state Championships in 1985 and 1991.

"When I first moved out here, I went to watch some high school teams workout.   They didn't know what to do if the weather was bad," Yeats said.  "In Ohio we had every available space we could find to do something.  If there was an empty closet we had someone in it working on something, wrist curls, something."

No comments:

Post a Comment