About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Votto MVP Will Have to Adjust

By winning the MVP award, Joey Votto may have a target on his back this season.

"It started the year before," Dusty Baker said.  "D Lee (Cubs Derreck Lee) came up to me and told me how good he thought Joey was.  Good hitters appreciate good hitters."

Baker expects Votto to get a lot of attention.  He believes pitchers will start to pitch around him.

"I had Barry Bonds.  He was the epitome of that," Baker said.  "Bonds was the best at recognizing fear in a pitcher.  Jeff Kent was there to pick him up.  Last year Jonny Gomes and Scotty (Scott Rolen) did a good job of picking up Joey."

Baker knows about picking up an MVP.  "I was 22 and hitting behind Hank Aaron," Baker said.  "Hank told me number one don't strike out or hit a ground ball.  That's what they want you to do.  Get a couple singles or doubles and they won't pitch around me so much."

Gomes and Rolen will most likely to bat behind Votto.  Jay Bruce is another option but Baker would prefer not to have to lefthander hitters in a row.

"That may change because Jay is getting better at hitting lefties," Baker said.

No comments:

Post a Comment