About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Rainy Day in Phoenix But It's A Dry Rain

Dusty covered tumbleweeds and tweeting this morning.
                                                                                      No Gators in Arizona Though
"This used to be the tumbleweed capital of the world before all the construction.  You used to run over them on the roads," Baker said.

The rain will force the full squad workout indoors for the second straight day.

"Actually, the infielders took ground balls yesterday but the fields are in bad shape today.  The wind tore the tarp in half.  They tried to put the tarp on but the wind tore a hole right through it," Baker said.



Baker wants the outfielders to start making long throws to avoid sore shoulders.

Baker was asked about how many games Scott Rolen would play, 120?

"That's just a number.  How many did he play last year?" Baker asked.

Rolen played in 133 games but not all of them as a starter.

"That's about right.  I talk to him," Baker said.  "He trusts me.  I'll go by what I see.  If I see a swing that tells me there is stiffness, I'll give him a day off.  I will give him day games after night games.  Things like that to get him through the 14 games in row.  I kind of program for the off day."

Brandon Phillips has become big on twitter.  Baker does not follow and showed some concern over it.

"What's the advantage of some twitter?  What does he get for that?" Baker asked.

"In baseball you have a game every day.  I just hope its not too time consuming.  I remember Leake was tweeting last year.  But he only pitches every five days," Baker said.

Is there some concern that Brandon might say something on twitter to tick somebody off?

"Yes. You can't necessarily prohibit it can you?  I think number one you have to find out what the rules are. I mean, you have to really be careful because you set yourself up for more controversy.  You don't want to talk about someone on the team.  If you're going to tweet on a good game you got to tweet on a bad one too.  In football they have one game a week.  We have a game every day.  We have less free time," Baker said.

No comments:

Post a Comment