About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Chapman Will Be Used Like Last Year

Dusty Baker made it clear.

There is no closer controversy in Cincinnati.  Francisco Cordero will be the closer and Aroldis Chapman, the 23-year old with a fastball clocked at 105mph will be used in s setup role.

"We will use him like last year and see how he progresses," Baker said.  "He had how many appearances 15 at the big league level and a total of 50 (actual 54).  That's not a lot of experience.  He's a power pitcher.  It takes him longer to find the strike zone than a sinker, slider pitcher does."

Fans showed frustration with Francisco Cordero and were taken by the young Cuban's ability to spin the radar gun.

Chapman will do anything asked of him as he is obviously more comfortable in the US.

"Francisco was exciting at times," Baker said. "But he was second in the league in saves the last two years.  People forget that."

"We didn't get a good look at him in spring training last year because he hurt his back," Baker said.  "We're still learning about him.  Relieving is new to him.  Right now we need him more as a reliever.  First of all he's lefthanded."

The major leagues and being new to the US and its culture are a lot for someone to deal with.  Then add the hype and the expectations.

"My job is being a reliever, so I'm a reliever," Chapman said.  "Sure I want to be a starter but I don't think about that. I am a reliever right now and that's the job I'm going to do.  When they want me to be a starter, I will start to think about it."  Chapman pictured above spoke through interpreter, Tomas Vera.

"There is a maturation process," said Baker, who visited Cuba this winter.  "I had know about Cuban culture some because I played with Paul Casanova and Tito Fuentes and talked with Leo Cardenas.  I went to see for myself.  The guys on the Cuban team only take two weeks off the whole year.  He came here with no family, no support system.  He didn't know the language."

"Chapman handled the situation great.  He's a fine young man.  He's quiet but personable.  You wonder about his background but don't want to pry."

No comments:

Post a Comment