About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Dontrelle Willis Fresh Start in Cincinnati

At one time Dontrelle Willis was on his way to the top of the baseball world.  He was 21 years old when the Florida Marlins called him to the big leagues on May 9, 2003.

He won 14 games and helped lead the Marlins to a World Championship by beating the New York Yankees.

He won the Rookie of the Year award that season.  He led the league with 22 wins in 2005.  After two mediocre years he moved on to Detroit as Florida went to another youth movement.

Willis was never the same.  He had injuries but simply couldn't get his pitching act together.

This fall Dusty Baker was watching Cincinnati prospects in the Arizona Fall League when he ran into an old friend Ray Burris.

"He told me that I should give Dontrelle a call," Baker said.  "My wife grew up with his mom and aunt in San Francisco.  My wife said she's known him since he was that tall.  She said he didn't talk much.  I told her he's talking now."

There is no physical reason that Willis has struggled the last two seasons.  His motion was unusual so any little aspect that got out of sync could cause problems.

"The delivery hasn't been such an issue," pitching coach Bryan Price said.  "Is he more effective when he's herky jerky?  I don't know but his delivery right now is repeatable.  He's throwing a ton of strikes.  He seems to be very comfortable and pleased with this opportunity.  The good thing is we don't have to have a lot of high expectations for him."

Injuries haven't been the problem according to Price.

"There's nothing wrong with him physically," Baker said.  "There's nothing wrong with him mentally as people think.  He just needs an opportunity.  That's what I've excelled at, is giving guys an opportunity to excell without bringing in the past."

No comments:

Post a Comment