About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Sunday, August 1, 2010

By Popular Demand - Heisey and Nix Get A Start

Fair weather fans have been upset with Drew Stubbs lack of offense.  The rookie has one hit in his last 36 at bats.  Manager Dusty Baker believes in Stubb and likes his defense.  He is in agreement with veteran manager Bobby Cox, who sees it from the other dugout.

Jonny Gomes is also getting the day off in favor of Laynce Nix.  Nix has nine hits in his last 11 at bats and also brings a good glove to the mix.

Baker's reasoning, "For Gomes is a little bit of a blow (rest) but mostly to get a hot Nix in there.  He's swinging the bat as well as I've seen him.  For Drew Stubbs he's a little off right now.  He's way ahead of the curve ball and behind the fastball.  He's in no man's land.  Heisey's swinging the bat pretty good.  I hope he can swing it as well starting as he does coming in games.  Late in the game nobody runs it down in centerfield like Stubbs does. I like to have Stubbs in on defense but you have to bring some offense with you too.  Like I explain to guys, defense gets you in the game and offense keeps you in the game."

Struggling for a rookie is completely different than it is for a veteran, which is why teams go with lesser talent in crunch time.

"It is more difficult for a younger player because they don't have much of a track record to call upon for confidence.  They don't have the 'I've been through this before and the last time I came out smoking.'  When you are a young player you don't feel comfortable yet in the big leagues and you shouldn't"

"There are certain guys that were prone to striking out and struggling before they got here.  I've tried to protect them.  Heisey had a great year in Double A.  I've tried to protect Heisey some like I did last year with Gomes.  I've tried to match him up with guys he had a better chance to hit.

A lot of fans will like this decision.

"I really like Heisey," Baker said. "I'm responsible for him being here in the first place, especially when he was hitting .240 when we called him up.  I know a lot of people are screaming Heisey, Heisey Heisey but I'm trying to get him to succeed by putting him against certain pitchers that he can handle.  He's still learning how to hit.  He's a good student and he listens."

"Everybody likes the back up quarterback,"  Baker said.

No comments:

Post a Comment