About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Sunday, August 1, 2010

Baker Is Taking The Reds to the Bank, 2-1

Heisey, Heisey, Heisey.

When is Heisey going to get a chance?  I've heard it from my bank teller, on facebook, in texts,in bars.

My teller at PNC bank in Groesbeck blamed Dusty Baker for the loss on Friday night.  I asked the same question Baker asked on Sunday when I told him.  "What did he/I do?.  Did I/he hit?  Did I/he pitch?"

He laughed, "So, it's my fault at the bank now too"  A fan called him over yesterday from his wheelchair.

"Dusty, I like you but you're too traditional," the fan said.  "You put speed at the top of the lineup."  Baker bit his lip, What would you do?"  "I'd put an on-base guy at the top," the fan answered.

The Reds leading on-base guy is Ryan Hanigan.  Baker laughed even louder.   Now fans want him to give up on Stubbs and play Heisey, who Baker likes a lot.

 He is having his chance and doing very well, thank you very much.

Dusty Baker is picking spots for him, much like he did for Jonny Gomes, who crapped out in Tampa Bay.

Gomes played in over 100 games in Tampa Bay.  In 2005 he hit .282 with 13 home runs.  In 2006 his averaged dipped to .213 and a career high 21 home runs.  That year Gomes convinced himself that he was a slugger.  The next year his playing time dwindled he hit .244 with 17 home runs and spent time in the minors.

Last year by picking spots for Gomes he played in 98 games and hit .269 with 20 home runs.  Baker also talked to him this spring about being a hitter that hits home runs rather than being a home run hitter.

With a still wild Volquez on the mound in a game started by Nix in Gomes place and Heisey in Stubbs spot, the Reds fell behind 1-0.  Former Red, Alex Gonzalez, reached the leftfield stands for one of the three hits off Volquez.  Five walks, however, exhausted the pitch count for Volquez.  (He also drilled Gonzalez in his next at bat).

Gomes hit for Volquez in the bottom of the fifth and lined out with Ramon Hernandez on firstbase with a leadoff single.  Brandon Phillips hit a two-out triple that eluded Jason Heyward in rightfield.  Gonzalez booted Orlando Cabrera's ground ball to let the Reds take the lead against Tommy Hanson, who allowed just five hits in 7 1/3 innings.

"When I hit it, I thought, "watch him catch it.  Watch him catch.  Oh snap, better start running."  I knew that the way Volquie was pitching and our bullpen that would be the game right there.  Gonzo is one of the best shortstops in the game.  He hardly ever makes an error."

Heisey struck out and grounded out twice before being replaced by reliever, Jordan Smith as Gomes remained in the game.

Smith, Bill Bray and Nick Masset got the Reds to the ninth with the lead.

Thrill-a-minute closer Francisco Cordero strolled to the mound with 28 saves in 34 chances.

Cordero survived an 11-pitch at bat with Mike Diaz, then allowed a two-out double by Heyward, who basically hit a ground ball.

"It was a good at bat," Cordero said.  "I made a lot of good pitches.  He hit everything I had."

 Heyward took advantage of the outfield playing "no-doubles" and hustled to second.  Cordero got Omar Infante on a comeback to the mound.

"That was a great play by Heyward," Atlanta manager Bobby Cox said.  "I saw it coming.  He came out of the box thinking about second."

"My arm feels better and my body feels better, the more I pitch.  Walks have hurt me.  When I pitch a lot, my control is better.  I like to pitch a lot.  They pay me way to much money for me to say no.  We won two out of three and go to Pittsburgh happy."

"It was a big win against a good team.  We beat them at their own game, so to speak with pitching and defense," Baker said.

Notes:

The Reds optioned RHP Carlos Fisher to Triple A, Louisville and intend to purchase the contract of RHP Russ Springer.

No comments:

Post a Comment