About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Saturday, July 31, 2010

No Deals For the Reds.

The Reds did not make a trade at the deadline that expired at 4:00 pm.

"We will make some adjustments within the system. I don't want to name names," Walt Jockety said during the Reds win over Atlanta.  "I have confidence in this team."

Veteran Bronson Arroyo agrees.

"It's going to be a tight race.  There's no glaring weakness on this team.  It's nice to think we can go front to back with the same 25-30 guys," Arroyo said.

"I have never complained about the personnel I have,"  Dusty Baker said.  "You always want to be better.  I try to get the most out of who I have.  That's part of the challenge of managing.  Besides, if you do complain about who you have and it doesn't work out.  How do you ask the guys in your clubhouse to stay together?  Can you think of the things they would call me behind my back, if I did something like that?"

The Reds were 14-12 in July.  They have had a winning month every month this year.

"It was a tough July," Baker said.  "We were treading water.  We lost some real tough games especially in Philadelphia.  When you're playing well the season goes by fast.  When you're not playing well, it takes forever.  This has been the fastest year, I've had in a while.  It's weird to tear another month off the schedule."

If the Reds can hang on through August, they have a big advantage for September.  They can call up a few pitchers that have performed well during the year, Sam LeCure and Matt Maloney.  Homer Bailey and Aaron Harang will be ready soon.  They have relievers that they have been able to count on in the past at Louisville, Micah Owings, Jared Burton, Daniel Ray Herrera etc.

Division rival St. Louis got another pitcher in Jake Westbrook from the Cleveland Indians but had to give up Ryan Ludwick.  Both Baker and Jockety, weren't sure it helped St. Louis all that much.

"I really like Ludwick.  They gave up a lot.  Didn't he hit 37 home runs a couple years ago?" Baker asked. Yep he hit 37 in 2008 and 22 last season.

"The Cards gave up a pretty good hitter," Jockety said.  "Offense has been one of their problems."

No comments:

Post a Comment