About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Sunday, July 2, 2023

Tyler Stephenson Homers To Power Reds After Andrew Abbott's Gem


Tyler Stephenson pinch hit for Joey Votto with two outs in the eighth to power the Reds to a series winning 4-3 victory over the San Diego Padres.

After the Padres hit two home runs in the top of the inning, Tom Cosgrove got the first two batters out in the bottom of the frame. Pinch hitter Stuart Fairchild, recalled this morning, drew a walk. Stephenson's sixth home run put the Reds on top.

"In the situation," Stephenson said. "You've got to be aggressive. I happened to get a pitch I could handle and I could drive and it was good to see it go over the fence. It's obviously huge. I don't know really how to describe that it was huge and a really cool experience."

Alexis Diaz, who blew his first save in 23 tries on Friday, came in to nail it down, allowing one run.  

"It is all because of this team that I've been having the success I've had," Diaz said. "They've giving me the confidence to go out there in the ninth and pitch well. I've also gained a lot of confidence in myself. I've been able to control my emotions when I'm on mound. It's giving me the results I've needed to do."

The Reds hadn't won a series against the Padres since August 2019.

The Padres needed to replace Yu Darvish, who is down with a virus. They chose left handed reliever, Adrian Morejon to face the Reds' hottest pitcher Andrew Abbott.

A pair of double plays turned by Gold Glover third baseman, Manny Machado, allowed Morejon to finish three scoreless innings. Tim Hill took over in the fourth.

Hill retired the first two batters in the fourth but he hit Joey Votto with a pitch. Spencer Steer hit his 14th home run, 441 feet into the second deck in leftfield. Steer improved his RBI total to 50 tying him with Jake Fraley for the team lead.

Fernando Tatis Jr. and Juan Soto singled back-to-back with one out in the first inning. Abbott retired the next 15 batters before he walked Ha-Seong Kim. Matt McLain made a diving stop of Tatis grounder up the middle and gloved a toss to Jonathan India to force Kim. Soto hit his second single but Machado fouled out to Fraley in right.

Abbott struck out Nelson Cruz and Trent Grisham to start the eighth inning but Kim hit his 10th home run of the season to cut the lead in half.

Abbott pitched his longest outing, 7 2/3 innings with four hits and a walk. He struck out a career-high 12 batters. It is the longest outing by a Reds' pitcher this season.

"It was a steady mix. All four of my pitches were in the zone early. Then diving out late," Abbott said. "I felt really good from the get go. I just had to go out and execute and hit my spots."

"Strikeouts speak to your stuff. It is a self awareness thing. I love them. It's the best result for me. I have really good stuff if I can K 12 Major League guys. Going deep in the game is just as important."

"Strikeouts speak to your stuff. It is a self awareness thing. I love them. It's the best result for me. I have really good stuff if I can K 12 Major League guys. Going deep in the game is just as important."

There is not question that Abbott has the ability to pitch in the big leagues but his mental toughness comes in an understated confidence.

"He (Abbott) hasn't changed a thing," Bell said. "He came in here he believes in himself. He respects the league. He respects his opponents. He respects his place in the clubhouse but he also knows what he's capable of. He's not going to back down. He's worked hard on his pitches and all that. But it's a mindset."

Lucas Sims came in to face Tatis with two outs. Tatis hit his 16th home run to deny Abbott the win. It was the second set of back-to-back home runs in two games. Sims was charged with a blown save. 

The Reds won 16 of the last 20 games with seven remaining before the All-Star break. There has been a different hero every game, it seems. Today, Stephenson bats in place of a Hall of Fame player and comes through. That is after a player, who was sent to Louisville 10 days ago gets called back and finds a way to get on base with two outs.

"That's what a team is all about," Bell said. "It's not the same guy every day. It's been a lot of guys playing well for sure. It's not going to be your day every single day. It is not only the guys in the lineup where it is the next man up mentality. It is also the guys staying ready. It's not easy at all pinch hitting. Give him a lot of credit to hit a pinch hit home run to win a game. It is very special. It definitely we're continuing to do things we need to do."









No comments:

Post a Comment