About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Saturday, July 1, 2023

Padres Struggling Stars Find Their Power Stroke To Take Down Reds


The star studded but struggling San Diego Padres found some power in a 12-5 win that snapped their six-game losing streak and the Reds three-game winning streak.

Juan Soto and Manny Machado took Buck Farmer deep in the sixth inning breaking a 1-1 tie. Machado added his 11th in the seventh inning.

Fernando Tatis Jr. doubled inside the first base bag to score Trent Grisham, who walked in the third inning against Brandon Williamson. 

The Reds got the run back when Matt McLain's second double of the game with two outs scored Tyler Stephenson, who walked off Michael Wacha.

Williamson pitched into the sixth inning but was removed after Austin Nola led off with a single. David Bell brought Buck Farmer into the game. Ha-Seong Kim reached on an error by Elly De la Cruz. Juan Soto hit his 15th home run to give the Padres a three-run lead. Manny Machado followed with his 10th home run.

"I looked up and saw 60 pitches in the third," Williamson said. "I thought, man I have to get some ground balls early. I threw some quality pitches to the heart of that lineup too in the fourth. The early ground balls were really what we were after."

Williamson allowed two runs on three hits and a walk in his five innings. He struck out five.

"What Brandon Williamson was able to do for us today," Bell said. "That was one of our best starts of the year against that lineup. He used all of his pitches, five or six of them. He really was effective with his cutter and his fastball. It was just a great start."

"Then we go to Buck there. He's been so good for us all year. He'll be fine. He'll bounce back. He's been pitching a lot, like the other guys. He got behind Soto and threw one of his best pitches. Soto put a nice swing on it. Give him credit as well."

Wacha gave the ball to Tom Cosgrove. Wacha pitched five innings, allowing one run on five hits and two walks. He struck out four.

The Padres picked up five runs off Alec Mills in the seventh inning, aided by a throwing error. The inning included Machado's second home run of the game. 

The Reds got back in the game against hard throwing Luis Garcia. Will Benson singled for his second hit in between walks to Stephenson and McLain. Jonathan India unloaded the bases with his second career grand slam off the batter's eye in centerfield. It is his 11th home run of the season. 

"You guys have seen it. It's been a tough month for me. At the same time I've always said, I don't care about results," India said. "To me if you're results driven. If you care about results and you're losing sleep over results, you won't perform in this game. I learned that my rookie year and last year. This year I told myself, hey, as long as I play the game the right way. I play this game hard. I don't give up. I fight every at bat. I stick to my process and execute my plan. There's nothing more I can do. The results are not in my hands. I can only control so much in this game. It's part of the process." 

"The grand slam was awesome. I put a good swing on the ball. I had a good swing the at bat before to right field. I had a good walk. It is part of my process my plan. I executed well today."


Eduardo Salazar hit Trent Grisham and Nola. They scored on sacrifice flies from Tatis Jr. and Soto.





No comments:

Post a Comment