About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Sunday, March 14, 2021

Tejay Antone Fine After Leaving Game Early, Sonny Gray and Wade Miley Dealing With Pain

 

 

 

Three members of the Reds projected and potential starting rotation have had setbacks this week.

The latest was Teejay Antone, who left his start against the San Diego Padres this afternoon.  He felt a tweak in his leg.  Antone is in a spring in which he has thrown the ball very well according to Reds' manager David Bell.

Anotone went out to warm up for his third inning but felt something in his landing leg, left leg.  

"I was just stretching it when (Mike) Moustakas came in to tell me not to push it.  I thought he was right so I called the trainer out.  It is no big deal. I will probably take my next turn."

"I was encouraged after talking to him," Bell said.

Antone pitched 2 and 2/3 innings and allowed three hits, three walks and four runs only one of which were earned.

"I was better in the third inning," Antone said.  "I felt I was pulling my pitches.  I needed to make an adjustment.  I just needed to make it sooner.  I am trying to be able to make adjustments, pitch by pitch."

The Reds are encouraged by his total spring work in sprite of the subpar outing in the scorebook.

"I think he has been throwing so well this spring.  I think he was trying to even improve on that," Bell said. "It is part of what makes him so good.  It is only natural."

The consensus is that Sonny Gray will be missing in the first week of the regular season with lower back pain.

"We never want to deal with injuries but it is better to deal with it now than in the season," Bell said.

Wade Miley is another player who left a game or workout with mild pain in his calf.  He is not expected to miss time.

Ryan Weathers, the son of recent Reds' pitcher David Weathers pitched three innings against the Reds on Sunday.  He was the seventh player taken in the 2018 draft by San Diego.

Young Weathers was a fixture on the back fields of Sarasota during spring training and in the Reds' clubhouse while his dad pitched in Cincinnati.

His dad would catch him and soft toss baseballs that Ryan would clobber for a kid his age.

On Sunday, Weathers pitched three innings allowing four hits and a walk, that led to two runs.

Weathers gave up a double to Nick Castellanos and a run scoring single to Nick Senzel in the fourth inning. Castellanos tripled and scored on a sacrifice fly by Mike Moustakis in the sixth inning.

No comments:

Post a Comment