About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Thursday, March 18, 2021

Reds Pitchers Michael Lorenzen, Lucas Sims And Amir Garrett Ready For Next Steps








Michael Lorenzen used batting practice at the Goodyear complex to take fly balls off the bat.

Perhaps since, Shohei Ohtani hit two home runs off him in a recent start, Lorenzen is eager to play center field, a spot he considers his best position.  It is also his favorite.

The 29-year mostly pitcher, has appeared in 34 big league games roaming the "garden".  After working out of the bullpen, after his initial entry into the Major Leagues as a starting pitcher.  Lorenzen made two key starts in the Reds' 2020 playoff run.  This spring he has a great chance to fill vacated roles in the starting rotation.

Reds' manager David Bell has been open to Lorenzen's multi purpose ambitions and sees the last two weeks of spring training to get Lorenzen work in the outfield.

"He loves to play the outfield and hit," Bell said.  "With him becoming a starter, it will be easier to use him more in the field.  The pitchers have been working all along with Jeff Pickler and now we will get the starters some at bats in games to get them used to it."

Lorenzen will do more than that in the last two weeks.

"We will get him into a game or two in the field.  This season the day after a start and the day before a start we won't play him in the field but the other two days, we can," Bell said.

The Reds will get two pitchers back on Saturday both competing with Sean Doolittle for the closers role.  Lucas Sims and Amir Garrett, have had light duty. Sims' right elbow and Garrett's left forearm have kept them from Cactus League action.   They pitched live batting practice on Wednesday.  Both are scheduled for some game action on Saturday.

"I will probably pitch in the "B" game," Sims said.  "They have more control over that but I feel fine."

Garrett was joking about the quality of french fries with reporters.  His good mood indicates that he is ready to pitch this spring also on Saturday.

"I feel good.  I've been working on things.  I'm ready," said Garrett, who requested on extra right handed batter to face in live BP.  It was Tyler Stephenson.  "There was no particular reason that it was Tyler.  I just wanted another right handed batter to work on.  I can get left handers out in my sleep."



 

No comments:

Post a Comment