About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Wednesday, September 4, 2019

Reds Pinch The Phillies Michael Lorenzen Adds Punch



Michael Lorenzen vultured a win by giving up a game tying pinch hit home run to Jay Bruce but hit his first home run of the year to power and pitch the Reds to an 8-5 win.

Phillip Ervin walked against Blake Parker and Lorenzen made him pay.

Logan Morrison and Bruce hit pinch hit home runs for the Phillies but Jose Iglesias hit his first career pinch hit home run to give the Reds a slim lead.  Lorenzen stretched it.  He pitched two innings and finished the game as a center fielder.  He is the only player since Babe Ruth, who played in the field homered and got the win in the same game.

"I underestimated his abilities," said David Bell of Lorenzen.  "It's really incredible.  I've never seen anything like it.  For him to get the opportunity there was fun.  He has the confidence that he can do it.  The big thing is he keeps working at it.  Even when he wasn't getting the opportunity in the middle of the year.  He worked at hitting and playing center field.  We were leaning on him heavily as a pitcher.  It is something that I need to get more comfortable with."

Lorenzen is hitting .353 which is higher than his ERA 3.04.

"It was good.  I wanted to make sure I hit one home run this year," Lorenzen said.  "For me giving up the home run to Jay Bruce is a little frustrating.  Trevor pitched his heart out.  It always seems that when I don't pitch well, I hit better.  I wish I could change that."

As for his connection with Babe Ruth, Lorenzen quipped, "I have to sit down with Nick ((Crall) and Dick (Williams) to figure out what Ruth would be paid in today's game.  To me it's a funny little stat. It's a baseball stat. I'm not really into that but for other people, it's cool. I'm honored to be a part of that.  I wouldn't be a part of that if it wasn't for David Bell being open minded."

Trevor Bauer, pitching on three-days rest, handled the Phillies for four innings.  He gave up an infield hit to Jean Segura and a double to Nola, the Phillies ace.  The fifth inning was a different story.

"It's really frustrating.  I give up a little dribbler for a base hit that turns the lineup over," Bauer said.  "I've been the unluckiest pitcher in baseball the last few months.  I've got to keep bashing my head against the wall until it breaks, one of the two."

Trailing 5-0, Cesar Hernandez, started the fifth inning with a double.  Bauer struck out Adam Haseley but pinch hitter Morrison sent a souvenir high above the Reds' bullpen into the Bowtie Bar.  Morrison faced Bauer 23 times and was six for 20 with two doubles and a home run.  No other Phillies player had more than six at bats.   Corey Dickerson singled but was injured running to first and taken out for a pinch runner.  Brad Miller had it easy as the pinch runner because J.T. Realmuto deposited Bauers next pitch into the seats in left.  It took a great running catch in center field by Brian O'Grady, who moved from left to center when Nick Senzel was scratched with soreness in his right shoulder.  O'Grady robbed Bryce Harper, who walked twice against Bauer.

The rally closed the 5-0 lead to one run after the Reds chased Nola early.

Joey Votto hit his 14th home run to the opposite field with one out in the first inning.  O'Grady, who hit 28 home runs this season at Louisville, barely missed his first Major League home run.  He hit Nola's pitch high off the center field fence, legging out a triple.  Bauer walked.  Alex Blandino struck out for the second out but Josh VanMeter singled to give the Reds a 2-0 lead.  Votto doubled to score Bauer and Aristides Aquino boosted his RBI total to 37 with a double right over the third base bag for a two-run double and a 5-0 lead.

Robert Stephenson pitched a 1-2-3 sixth.

O'Grady singled with two out off Phillies top prospect left-hander Cole Irvin.  Jose Peraza, who was called up from Louisville before the game was announced as the pinch hitter for Stephenson. Philadelphia manager, Gabe Kapler, brought on former Red, Jared Hughes.  David Bell called on Derek Dietrich.  Hughes induced and inning ending ground out to the shortstop hole.

Michael Lorenzen entered to pitch the seventh inning.

Former Reds' number one pick, Bruce, tied the game with his 11th home run since coming to the Phillies from Seattle.  Bruce hit 14 home runs in Seattle.  It was his third career pinch hit home run and second of the season.

Jose Alvarez started the seventh inning on the mound for the Phillies.  Iglesias, batting for VanMeter hit the third pinch hit home run of the game to put the Reds' back on top.  It was Iglesias' 10th home run of the season and his first career pinch hit homer.

"I got lucky. I put on a good swing." Iglesias said. "David asked me if I was ready.  I said of course. It was important with the tie game in all.  I have never hit one as a pinch hitter.  It put us in position to win the game and that's what it is about."

Haseley robbed Freddie Galvis of his potential 23rd home run off Blake Parker in the bottom of the eighth.

Raisel Iglesias, who has 11 losses, came in to protect the three-run lead for his 29th save in 34 chances.  He retired the Phillies in order.















No comments:

Post a Comment