About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Wednesday, September 25, 2019

Frustrated Joey Votto Could Walk Out On Contract





The Reds owe Joey Votto, $107 million on his current contract that is in effect for five more seasons, counting a club option with a buyout for the 2024 season.

A frustrated Votto vowed he would leave some of the money on the table, if his frustrations continue and he does not enjoy the challenges.

"I don't think much about money," Votto said.  "It is a really frustrating season.  Six losing seasons in unacceptable.  This has been my worst year.  For long stretches this year, I've been a liability."

Votto still likes the challenge but won't hang around for the paycheck, if he is not having fun, he can see himself ending his career before the contract is up.

"I still believe in myself," Votto said.  "From an offensive standpoint, things have changed in a good way. I think I can repeat them next season. This winter I need to step away and take as much time away from the game as possible."

"I don't want to end abruptly," Votto continued.  "I want to say thank you to the fan base and the front office, who supported me.  Dropping of as I've had I don't want to just play for a paycheck."

Votto wants to play in a World Series but doesn't want to get traded to another team to do it.  He wants to play in a Reds' uniform in a World series.

"A World Series isn't a priority for me in another uniform," Votto said.  "It wouldn't feel like it was mine.  I wouldn't feel like I was part of it."

Votto is not interested in going to a team and be a part time or role player on a team that is on the brink of a championship.

"This year has been an underwhelming experience," Votto said.  "The game adjusts on the fly and I feel like I've been a step behind."

Votto is currently batting .269 which would be his lowest other than the injury marred 2014 when he only played in 16 games.  His home run total in 138 games so far is more than the 12 he hit in 145 games last season.  His 13-year average is 27.   He has averaged 89 RBI per season and has slipped to 47.  Votto averages 111 walks per season but has only drawn 75 this year.





No comments:

Post a Comment