About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Wednesday, September 25, 2019

Brewers' Ryan Braun Hit A Grand Slam As They Clinch The Playoff On Reds Turf




Ryan Braun was eager to clinch the Milwaukee Brewers playoff spot.  He hit a 1-1 pitch to the smokestacks in right center field with the bases loaded to jump start in the first inning that propelled the Brewers to an 9-2 win.

Tyler Mahle walked two and surrendered a single to Keston Hiura to load the bases in front of Braun's 22nd home run of the season and 28th of his career at Great American Ball Park.  The inspired Brewers weren't finished.  Eric Thames followed Braun with his 24th home run of the year..

Brewers Celebrate

The Brewers weren't finished in the first.  Eric Thames followed Braun with his 24th home run of the season.  Lorenzo Cain, Cory Spangenberg and starting pitcher Jordan Lyles singled to reload the bases.  Trent Grisham made his second out of the inning by forcing Lyles as Cain scored.

Eugenio Suarez put up a tiny protest with his 49th home run of the season, coming off Lyles.  He tied Ted Kluzewski for the second most home runs in a season.  The blow tied the Reds' team record of 222 set in 2005.  Suarez broke a tie with Mike Schmidt and Adrian Beltre for the most home runs by a National League third baseman.

Suarez has been the bright spot on the darkness of a losing season.

"It makes me proud of myself," Suarez said.  "I have the next four games to see if I can hit more than 49.  All my records are special.  I feel so happy.  I never tried to set the goal to hit home run.  I watched (Andres) Galarrage, Miggy (Miguel Cabrera) and Barry Bonds.   Miggy called me the other day to congratulate me.  I watched him when I came up with the Tigers.  I watched him in batting practice.  He told me to look for the fastball and adjust to the breaking ball.  I always remembered that."

Tucker Barnhart doubled to score Aritides Aquino with the Reds second run.

Keston Hiura's 19th long ball and a double by Yasmani Grandal rebuilt the six-run lead.

Grisham earned a second RBI of the game when he was hit by a pitch with the bases loaded in the seventh.

The Brewers win eliminated the Chicago Cubs and New York Mets from playoff contention.  The Brewers pulled within 1-1/2 games of Division leading St. Louis Cardinals, who lost to Arizona this afternoon.  They could also pass the Washington Nationals for the home field advantage in the Wild Card one-game playoff.

Mahle had a tough season although he was headed for the minor leagues until Alex Wood hurt his back in spring training.

"Tyler couldn't get it going tonight," Bell said.  "He wasn't able to locate his fastball.  I love where Tyler is.  He needs an off season.  We like his arm, the way he makes adjustments and the way he competes."












No comments:

Post a Comment