About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Tanner Roark Grinds Out His Last Spring Start Jose Iglesias Provides Offense




Tanner /Roark is not the /Reds Opening Day starter but he pitched like an ace as the Reds saddled the Texas Rangers with a 6-1 loss.

Roark pitched into the sixth inning, allowing one run on five hits and a walk.  Three of the hits he allowed were doubles ot open an inning. Just one of them scored.

Roark has pitched in six games allowing five runs in 19 2/3 innings, good enough for any starter.  He is scheduled to start against the Pittsburgh Pirates and Joe Musgrove on Sunday March 31.

http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/
DeLino DeSheilds, the son of the Reds' first base coach, doubled to open the third inning.  He scored on a single by Roughed Odor to give Texas a brief 1-0 lead. It was the first of three doubles that opened an inning.  The other two were stranded.

"It was a grinder game," Roark said. "I wasn't as sharp as I'd like to be.  The two leadoff doubles and second and third.  When push came to shove, I made my pitches.  The way the pitching coach, DJ the way he approaches pitching has given me a little insight. He gave me things to work on. We test them out and they've been pretty good."
ht[[s://amazon.com/

Roark struck out Nomar Mazara to start the sixth but walked Asdrubal Cabrera.  David Bell lifted Roark and brought in Anthony Bass, still with a chance to make the /Reds' bullpen as a non -roster player.  Bass got Ronald Guzman to hit into a double play.

The 32-year old who came in a trade from Washington will have just a side session left in camp.

"I feel like I'm ready for the season. I feel like we're ready.  I came in here optimistic and excited.  I got to know everybody.  It's been fun," Roark said.

Bell has seen this before out of Roark.


"He looked like he has every time out," Bell said.  "He was strong right there until the end.  It wasn't fatigue.  We pulled him because he got to his pitch count.  He is a very intense competitor the way he competes but he's also has a calmness about him that helps him.  He knows who he is. He continues to make pitches."
http://donatelifeohio.org/



Jose Iglesias, a late free agent signing, was in the middle of three Reds runs. Iglesias doubled and scored in the fourth, singled to score Scott Schebler, who doubled. He drove in Taylor Trammel, who walked and stole two bases in the fifth inning.

The Reds tacked on three more runs against Tyler Phillips.  Connor Joe doubled with two outs He scored from second on an infield hit by Trahan and a throwing error.  Minor leaguer  Sherman Johnson hit a home run.









No comments:

Post a Comment