About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Friday, August 10, 2018

Anthony DeSclafani Exterminates Diamondbacks




Anthony DeSclafani and Clay Buchholz had their way with the hitters for five innings before the Reds broke through to scratch out a 3-0 win over the National League West Division leading Arizona Diamondbacks.

DeSclafani allowed singles to Paul Goldschmidt and A.J. Pollack in the first five innings. Neither reached second base.

http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/
"Anthony set the tone for the entire game," Jim Riggleman said.  "That was a good old fashioned ball game.  That was a tough lineup he was facing.  They're in first place and have to come in here and win games.  Anthony was up to the task."

The Reds hitters weren't any more effective against Buchholz.

Scooter Gennett singled in the second inning but was erased on a double play.  The Reds did mount a threat in the fourth inning.  Jose Peraza opened the inning with a single off the glove of third baseman Eduardo Escobar.  One out later Eugenio Suarez singled.  After Gennett flied to left, Phillip Ervin walked to load the bases but Mason Williams grounded out.

DeSclafani retired the Diamondbacks in order in the sixth.

Peraza singled to open the sixth, his second hit.  Joey Votto singled for his 1,700th career hit.  Peraza reached third with no outs.  Suarez drove in his 88th run of the season with a long fly to left.  Gennett and Ervin struck out to end the inning.

Tucker Barnhart hit a one-out double after DeSclafani struck out two in a scoreless seventh. DeSclafani, who has a grand slam to his credit singled sharply to right to send Barnhart to third.  Billy Hamilton laid a perfect bunt for a suicide squeeze.  Barnhart scored easily.  Buchholz fielded the ball on the line and had no chance to get Hamilton but threw anyway.  The ball went down the line to the tarp behind first base.  DeSclafani scored and Hamilton reached second.

"I thought about having Billy bunt earlier in the count but thought they might pitch out," Riggleman said.  "When he got to three balls, I thought he would get a good pitch to bunt, something he could handle."

The Reds have been working with Hamilton on bunting for years.  Joe Morgan spent a lot of time with Hamilton working on the skill in spring training.  Hamilton just hasn't been a good bunter.  Tonight it seemed a light bulb went off in his head on the suicide squeeze.

"Most of the time when I bunt, I try to run out of there and I pop the ball up," Hamilton said.  "On the squeeze you have to get the ball down no matter what.  On the squeeze, you have to get the ball down, no matter what or you will leave whoever is coming from third in a bind. That showed me that if I stayed in and just put the ball down, I can make things happen.  I have to practice that more trying to get the ball down and then run."

A player especially one with speed gets in the habit of thinking he has to do everything fast.  Do everything in a hurry but there are certain times in a game where patience is needed.

"It is tough," Hamilton said.  "I feel that is what has been messing me up my whole career. I don't realize how fast I am.  I try to bunt the ball and run at the same time and I'm fouling the ball off or not getting the ball down because I'm trying to rush it.  Tonight I stayed in there and got a bunt down. Now I know I can do that."

DeSclafani enjoyed his time on the bases as well as his single.

""The hit going first to third was the most exciting part," DeSclafani said. "That was the first time I was ever a part of a play like that.  I waited for Tucker to break.  When I saw Hatcher wave me around I thought this is kind of fun, just don't miss the bags."

Peraza's fly to right put Hamilton on third.  Votto was walked intentionally.  Suarez grounded to third base.
http://donatelifeohio.org/


Steven Souza opened the eighth with the Diamondback's third hit.  Jim Riggleman went to the bullpen to bring on Jared Hughes.  Ketel Marte grounded out to Votto unassisted.  Souza went to second.  Nick Ahmed singled with Souza stopping at third.  Alex Avila hit into a 4-6-3 double play.

DeSclafani pitched seven scoreless innings with three hits and no walks.  He struck out nine, while earning his sixth win.

"I had a good amount of things working today," DeSclafani said. "I stayed out of the middle of the plate for the most part.  I felt like this game was the most well put together game."


Raisel Iglesias entered in the ninth, trying to earn his 22nd save in 25 tries. He allowed a two-out double to Goldschmidt but struck out Pollock to preserve the win and shutout.








DeSclafani









No comments:

Post a Comment