About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Sunday, February 18, 2018

Baseball Free Agent Signings Fewer And Smaller






bubble may have burst on Baseball's rising salaries.

The Reds signed two free agent veteran relief pitchers this off season, Jared Hughes and David Hernandez.  They let Zack Cozart sign with the Los Angeles Angels. The Cleveland Indians signed Yonder Alonso to a Major League contract while letting Carlos Santana test free agency. They brought back Rajai Davis, who hit the game tying home run in the ninth inning of the seventh game of the 2016 World Series off the Cubs' Aroldis Chapman, to a minor league contract..  They also signed former Reds' catcher Ryan Hanigan and Mel Upton Jr. to minor league deals.

http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/
It is clear that the market is shifting to a buyers market.  Big names such as Eric Hosmer and Yu Darvish singed late.  Like the real estarte market in the 2000 it appears to have reached a point where prices could no longer go higher.

Joey Votto and Upton chimed in today on the free agent market.
Votto signed a 10-year contract in 2012, through the 2023 season with an club option for 2024.  The native of Toronto, Canada will be 40 years old when the contract runs out.

The Reds avoided big name free agents, signing a pair of veteran relief pitches in David Hernandez and Jared Hughes, while losing starting shortstop Zack Cozart to free agency.

“I think they (Reds’ fron office) made the right moves,” Votto said.  “Signing a free agent for more that three years, for example is an example.  I think Zack Cozart is a perfect example. I think they didn’t want to go past the three-year number with him.  They didn’t want to make a commitment and risk that one or two of those years not being competitive and burning the money just for signing sake.”

Votto believes that the Reds may get to the point like Milwaukee, siging Lorenzo Cain and offering Yu Darvish a five-year offer.

“At some point, we’ll probably do something similar to that,” said Votto, who has been criticized for being too selective and taking too many walks with runners in scoring position.

“I can’t speak for the business side of things,” Votto said.  “Everything they’ve ever said is we have the money to make that sort of thing happen. We’ll see. As far as making a signing during the off season, I don’t feel any sort of way about that.  Frankly, I don’t think I’d ever feel that sort of way about that because it’s not my place.  When they started chirping about my hitting style, privately I was upset about that but that’s because they need to worry about their job. I try to do my job and let the front office do their thing.”

Upton was less diplomatic.

"I think it is rather ridiculous, personally," Upton said.  "I got to catch the last wave of big free agency. I was part of seeing it head in the direction of the way it's headed now and it's sad.  It's unfortunate to see.  Where I'm at in my career, I'm more concerned about the guys behind us. I want them to be treated fairly. I feel like some guys sitting out on the market have put themselves in a position they shouldn't have to deal with.  I think as the player's union, we'll figure it out.  We'll get to the bottom of it. The next four years when its time to renegotiate, there are things we need to discuss."








No comments:

Post a Comment