About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Bronson Arroyo Rides Into The Sunset Like Gene Autry





Bronson Arroyo can’t give a full three hour concert or go nine innings but in the waning days of the 2017, he will give what he has.

The Reds announced a short concert at the conclusion of the game against the Boston Red Sox on Saturday, September 23.

Arroyo, who picked up a guitar in the minor leagues, learned to play and cover tunes from contemporary pop musicians.  One of his good friends is Eddie Vedder or Pearl Jam.

http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/
“It is going to be a mini concert,” Arroyo said.  “A real concert is three hours long.  Bronson Arroyo ain’t got three hours in him.  That’s Bruce Springsteen.  That’s Pear Jam.  That’s a real show.  I’m going to give them the appetizer.  I’m going to give them the shrimp cocktail and then they can watch the fireworks.”

Arroyo began 2017 in the Reds’ starting rotation after two injury plagued years.  The 40-year old was a consistent 200 innings per year performer, who prided himself on not missing starts until the wear and tear caught up to him He pitched well enough to make a story book return and injuries to Homer Bailey and Anthony DeSclafani.  He made 14 starts until his arm became a liability.  There was a promising stretch in April, where won three straight decision over a span of six starts in which the Reds were un-defeated.

“It’s going to be fun. I can’t contribute on the field right now, at least I can contribute in some other ways. People come to the ballpark.  In a lot of ways we are entertaining out here.  Internally, we’re thinking about wins and losses all the time, and that drives the machine. At the end of the day, the ammenities here, the food, the overall experience still matters a lot to the fans. It is what keeps them coming back.  I’m trying to do my part. I’ve been doing some little things. They’ve given me the opportunity to play around the ballpark.  With the Red Sox coming in, it will be a nice cap to my career, moving on to the things that I’ll be doing.  I’ll be doing a lot more than throwing a baseball in the future.”

Arroyo recorded a CD during his days with the Boston Red Sox before he was traded to Cincinnati from Boston in spring training on March 20, 2006 for Wily Mo Pena.

“We’re going to play all cover songs.  If I wrote stuff that I was happy with, I would play them. 
That doesn’t generally happen.  I’ll just play songs that hopefully people know, stuff that’s turned me on throughout my career.  Hopefully, people enjoy it.”

“I’ll be playing for 45 minutes.  I think there’ll be a gap, depending how the game goes, somewhere around 7:40 to 8:20.  Then there will be the fireworks show.  They said they were going to do it like the Avett Brothers Show and bring people out on the infield there.

The Cincinnati Bengals’ defensive tackle Mike Reid quit football while he could still walk.  Reid began a second career writing  and performing popular country music. Like Reid,  Reds’ fans will get to see Arroyo ride off into the sunset like former California Angels owner and singing cowboy Gene Autry.



No comments:

Post a Comment