About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Scott Schebler's Grand Slam Keys Reds First Win Over Mets In Three Years





Scott Schebler’s first career grand slam propelled the Reds to its first win over the New York Mets since September 6, 2014.

Schebler connected off Mets’ rookie pitcher Chris Flexen in a five-run first inning that propelled the Reds to a 14-4 win over the Reds.

Sal Romano was touched for a run in the first inning.

http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/
Jose Reyes walked and advanced to second on a wild pitch.  Asdrubal Cabrera hit a run scoring double before Romano settled in.

Flexen got Billy Hamilton on a ground out for the first out but Zack Cozart reached on an infield single to deep short.  Joey Votto walked for the sixth straight plate appearance.  The struggling Adam Duvall struck out.  Scooter Gennett walked to load the bases.  Eugenio Suarez sharp single to left tied the game.  Schebler’s line drive reached the right field stands for his 25th home run to give Cincinnati a 5-1 cushion.

'I didn't really see his fastball," Schebler said.  "It was his change up that I hit out.  I didn't realize how important that shoulder was. It was my non dominant shoulder. I learned my lesson. I played with it for about a month and a half.  I think beast is a good word.  Grand slams don't happen very often. I'm not like Scooter, who hits one every other at bat."

Schebler was struggling with a shoulder that needed rest.  Since he's come back he is hitting .370 with a 1.216 OPS in the 10 days.

"Schebler is getting to his power," Bryan Price said..  "He's still knocking some baslls into the five-six hole.  It's good to have him swinging the bat the way he can.  He has a chance to be a real beast.  He defends, runs well. controls the strike zone to get on base; we're starting to see some of that."

Romano allowed two hits in four straight scoreless innings.

"He had a few misfires in the first inning," Price said. "He wasn't missing by much but he was missing.  Then he started rolling that sinnker in there."

The Reds got to Flexen for a pair of fifth inning runs.

Cozart singled.  Votto, who grounded out to break the walk streak, walked again.  Duvall hit into a double play.  Gennett singled to score Cozart.  Suarez walked in front of Schebler, whose single drove home his fifth run of the game to tie his career-high.

The Mets got to Romano for two in the sixth.

Cabrera walked with one out.  Wilmer Flores, the cleanup hitter, popped up to Votto.  Travis D’Arnuad doubled Cabrera to third.  Dominic Smith singled home the two runners.  Amed Rosario singled but Romano struck out Juan Lagares to complete his stint. 

Romano turned in his third straight quality start with six innings of six-hit, three-baseball.  He won his second straight decision to improve to 4-5.

"It was the 14th game in a tow so we had to do something," Romano said.  "A couple in my familty are Mets fans at home.  It's nice to get a win and be a part of it. I felt like I was as sharp as the last two games.  I left some change ups, up in the sixth inning but I felt like I was pretty sharp.

Drew Storen. Kevin Schackelford and Wandy Peralta, held down the Mets to the ninth.

Joey Votto drove in the Reds’ eighth run with a single in the eighth inning. Duvall followed with a three-run home run, his 31st.  The Reds scored seven runs in the inning off Chasen Bradford.  The Reds were aided by two errors by Wilmer Flores.

Catcher Kevin Plawecki relieved Bradford with the bases loaded and no outs.  It was his second pitching appearance.  He got pinch hitter Phil Ervin to hit into a double play.  Cozart reached base twice by Flores errors.






No comments:

Post a Comment