About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Friday, August 4, 2017

Anthony DeSclafani Will Rest No Surgery





 

Anthony DeSclafani got one out on Thursday night in Dayton.  He left under a trainer’s supervision after allowing three home runs and eight earned runse.

DeSclafani has tendinitis in his right forearm after five months of rehabbing an elbow injury. An MRI revealed the UCL was intact.


http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/
“It’s a setback. It certainly doesn’t mean that it’s the end of his season,” Bryan Price said.  “It’s a setback. What we haven’t been able to figure out is why he has recurring elbow problems.”

DeSclafani missed two months of the 2016 season with a strained left oblique.  He returned on June 10, making 20 starts.  DeSclafani was 9-5 with a 3.28 ERA. 

This season elbow discomfort kept him in Arizona to rehab.  He was making his third rehab start when he left the game with discomfort in his right forearm.

“What we haven’t been able to do is to find why he has recurring elbow problems,” Price said. “As much as the MRI tells us he has tendintis, we want to know why he has tendinitis. He is going to get his MRI read by another doctor to make sure,”

DeSclafani felt good until the second pitch I felt it a little bit. On the third pitch, I felt it a little more.  By the fourth pitch I was pretty much done,” DeSclafani said.  “But I told myself, I didn’t want to feel that. I tried as much as I could to pitch through it. It didn’t work out.”

DeSclafani wasn’t able to finish pitches. 

“The plan is to take a few days off,” DeSclafani said.  “I’m not the first person to go through this. I won’t be the last.  You just have to face it.  I can’t feel sorry for myself.  I am keeping a positive frame of mind so I can pitch for this team.”

“The whole year has been a mental grind, being in Arizona,” DeSclafani said.

DeSclafani  was supposed to join Homer Bailey, Brandon Finnegan, Scott Feldman and one of the young pitchers in the starting rotation.  The three veterans have all spent time on the disabled list.  The Reds used eight rookie pitchers to start games this season.



No comments:

Post a Comment