About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Friday, August 4, 2017

Reds Edge Arch Rivals For Sixth Time In Seven Games






The Reds got good pitching and just enough offense to win its sixth game in seven tries against their arch rivals the St. Louis Cardinals,3-2.

Joey Votto drove in two runs with a double and a single.

Asher Wojciechowski was placed in the starting rotation, taking the place of Tim Adleman.

His mound opponent was the Reds’ former number one draft pick, Mike Leake.

The Reds got on the board first because Jesse Winker, who singled up the middle, ran through Billy Hatcher’s stop sign on Joey Votto’s double.  Winker got under Stephen Piscotty’s wide through that pulled catcher Carson Kelly up the thirdbase line.

http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/

As aggressive as the Reds were on that play, Votto held second on Adam Duvall’s bloop single to right.  It cost the Reds a run when Scooter Gennett forced Duvall at secondbase.

“I just try to get on as much as I can with Joey and Adam behind me.  My motto is try to be a tough out and try to hit the ball hard,” Winker said.  “I missed that stop sign for sure.  That was on me. I didn’t pick my head back up.  Once I was getting to third my head was down the whole way.  Thankfully the throw was high and up the line.  It worked out.”


The Cardinals tied the game in the third.  Greg Garcia tripled to right and barely beat Winker’s throw to third.  Leake hit a one hop grounder to Jose Peraza, who was indecisive as he looked home first.  By the time Peraza threw across the diamond, Leake had crossed the bag.  Leake was erased when he tried to advance on Matt Carpenter’s fly out to Billy Hamilton in center. It was Hamilton’s league leading 10th assist.

The Reds got to Leake in the fifth.

Peraza opened the inning with a single.  Tucker Barnhart singled.  Arismendy Alcantara batted for Wojciechowski.  Alcantara bunted. It was fielded by Leake, who threw Alcantara out as the runners moved up.  Hamilton singled to right.  Peraza scored but Barnhart was thrown out at the plate on a call by home plate umpire Brian Knight that held up under review. Winker and Votto singled as Hamilton scored.

“Joey and Jesse have great strike zone command.," Bryan Price.  aaaaa'Both hit the ball to all fields. They aren’t bad matchups against left-handed pitching.  Jesse is confident.  We don’t have to dance around a kid’s confidence.”


Drew Storen took over for Wojciechowski, who allowed one run on three hits and a walk.

“Wojciechowski trusts his stuff if he’s going to get beat, it will be from strikes over the plate.," Price said.

“I was able to execute pitches in tough situations.  I would like to think I had some more in the tank but I haven’t really been stretched out.  I just want to be a pitcher in the big leagues whenever my name is called, that’s what I’ll do," Wojciechowski said.


Storen turned in a scoreless inning and a third.

“Asher's a mature kid. He’s not going to get his feelings hurt with a no decision late in the game," Price said... "It’s been awhile it made sense to get him out of there with the top of the order coming up and Drew (Storen) was fresh”

Wandy Peralata and Michael Lorenzen navigated a scoreless seventh.

St. Louis took advantage of the replay again to pull within a run against Lorenzen in the eighth.

With one out Tommy Pham and Paul DeJong had infield hits. Piscotty hit a fly deep to the leftcenterfield gap.  Duvall caught it on the run and turned quickly to throw to secondbase.  Umpire Ryan Additon called Pham out but the call was reversed on review.  Kelly hit an RBI single to the hole between Gennett and Votto.  Lorenzen walked Kolton Wong to load the bases but caught Randal Grichuk looking at a 3-2 pitch.

Raisel Iglesias entered to face the bottom of the order, looking for his 19th save in 20 tries.  Pinch hitter Yadier Molina grounded out but Jed Gyorko singled and Matt Carpenter walked.  Pham flied out to right as Gyorko went to third.  Iglesias struck out DeJong to nail down the win.













No comments:

Post a Comment