About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Taking It Easy Brayan Pena Manages Adrenaline







Brayan Pena has been in Goodyear less than a week and is already one of the most popular players in the clubhouse.

The 32-year old catcher was born in Havana, Cuba.  He signed with the Atlanta Braves in 2000 as a non-drafted free agent.

Pena spent eight seasons with the Braves before the Kansas City Royals picked him up on waivers.  He caught 72 games in 2011.  His career average is .258.

http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/
Last season with Detroit, Pena hit .297 in 71 games with four home runs and 22 RBI.
Add caption

The Reds signed Pena to a two-year contract.  He is expected to back up Devin Mesoraco, but just as importantly, he is to mentor fellow Cuban Aroldis Chapman.  Chapman, whose locker is across the clubhouse from Pena's, has been seen every day in front of the veteran catcher's locker.
.
On a bright warm Tuesday morning before the full squad reports, Pena was taking batting practice in a group of catchers, including Tucker Barnhart and Max Ramirez.  Don Long and Pena had a conversation about hitting with runners in scoring position.
Devin Mesoraco and Pena Discuss Catching

Pena offered his philosophy.

"I try to be the same with a runner on second as I am with nobody on base," Pena said.  "We get the adrenaline rush and allow that to take over."

As Full of Schatz and Hal McCoy were observing from behind the batting cage, Pena walked over to introduce himself and shake hands.  Hal McCoy, the Hall of Fame writer from Fox Sports Ohio and the Dayton Daily News, offered a hand, "I'm Hal McCoy."

"I know who you are," Pena said.  "Even Fidel Castro knows who you are."

Pena continued to explain his philosophy.

"The adrenaline is going to be there.  That's part of the game," Pena explained.  "I try to calm myself down and be the same; not get too high or too low.  I try to be myself and not be someone I ain't.  I am no Miguel Cabrera.  I try to do what I can.  We know there are going to be success and there will be failure.  That's part of the game.  You just have to trust your own ability."


Professionally edited by ML Schirmer
for proof reading services call
513-240-3120



No comments:

Post a Comment