About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Bryan Price Will Not Change Joey Votto






Bryan Price will not ask 2010 Most Valuable Player Joey Votto to change his approach at the plate, nor will he move him up in the batting order.

Joey Votto's 2014 Topps Card
Many analysts and fans were critical of Votto for not driving in enough runs from his third spot in the batting order.  He set a Reds' team record by getting on base 316 times, and by walk a team record 135 times.  He scored 101 runs. Yet he drove in just 73 runs in 162 games.

"You know what I like about guys in the middle of the order?" Price asked.  "It is that they are producing runs.  He scored a lot of runs, in his defense, and got on base at a high percentage.  He put us in position for Brandon Phillips (103 RBI) and Jay Bruce (109 RBI).  There was a run production and a lot of it from Joey.  I think the one thing that was discussed was the total amount of RBI."

Some suggest that Votto should expand the strike zone, cutting down on walks for a chance to drive in more runs.

http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/
"How much can you really change approach?  Does it make sense to expand the strike zone to drive in runs?  I can't ask him to extend his strike zone.  He's worked so hard to get there," Price said.

The hitter behind him would help him drive in more runs.

"I think it is taking advantage of good pitches to hit.  I think it is a product of the depth and quality of the guys behind him, whether it's Bruce/(Ryan) Ludwick or Ludwick/Bruce.  I think they will provide him with more opportunities by getting him better pitches to hit."

Price is open to changing the lineup, but not a lot.  He is not, at least initially, inclined to move Votto to second in the batting order as some suggest.

"At this point in time, he's hitting third.  It's hard to look at a year like 2013 and define a Joey Votto," Price said.  "He hit 37 home runs in a season.  He does an awful lot of things well for offense.  I'm looking for a big year out of Joey Votto."


Professionally edited by ML Schirmer
for proof reading services call
513-240-3120


No comments:

Post a Comment