About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Sitting The Bench Is Eating Away at Brandon Phillips






Reds' Gold Glove secondbaseman and cleanup hitter is literally chomping at the bit to get back into the lineup.

He still has soreness in his right forearm after he was hit by a pitch Saturday in Pittsburgh.

"He is still a little sore," Dusty Baker said.  "He wants to play but he hasn't checked a swing yet, or slide and you don't want him diving for a ball.  You can't put a governor on him while he's on the field.  Brandon doesn't know how to play that way anyway."

As much as Phillips begged to play against Colorado tonight, he understands why Baker made his decision.

http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/

"Sometimes you have to take it easy and see what you can really do," Phillips said. "You also have to respect the manager's decision.  I've played hurt a lot of times but this is the first time I got hit on the forearm.  I feel good and when you do you want to be on the field.  Hopefully, I can be ready by Friday."

Phillips took batting practice before the Reds game against the Rockies.  The Reds have the day off on Thursday before starting the weekend series with St. Louis on Friday.

"I think the Cardinals are the best team in baseball right now," Phillips said.  "They're a great team. That's the type of team we need to step up our game with.  I'm glad I'm going to be able to play on Friday.  I'm really looking forward to it. I think everybody on our team is looking forward to it.  You want to beat the best."

Phillips doesn't know what to do with himself on the bench.

"I am back here (in the clubhouse) eating all the snacks," Phillips said.  "I eat everything the Ramen Noodles, the Zebra Cakes, all the Little Debbie cakes.  If I don't get in the lineup soon, I'll look like Ronnie Belliard (a chunky infielder who played for several teams).  I used to ask my teammates how they could eat all those snacks. They told me you're playing so you don't know.  Now I know. I eat everything."


No comments:

Post a Comment