About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Johnny Cueto Is Placed on the Disabled List




For the second time this season the Reds placed ace right-hander Johnny Cueto on the 15-day disabled list retroactive to Friday with pain in his latissimus which is connected to the tricep and the shoulder.

Pedro Villarreal was recalled from Louisville to make the start against the Colorado Rockies.

The 25-year old Texan pitched one inning for Cincinnati late last season.  He had one strikeout in a hitless inning.

http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/

Cueto felt the lat in the last inning against Pittsburgh in the Reds' 6-0 win on Friday. Cueto pitched eight innings, allowing one hit.

"I felt it in the last inning against Pittsburgh.  It is almost in the same spot.  It's close. I thought at the moment it was insignificant but it is so early in the season.  I wanted to communicate it to the team so I could pitch later in the season and God willing we make it to the playoffs," Cueto said.

"I don't feel it when I'm playing catch.  I feel it when I'm trying to throw a pitch, when I want to put something extra on it.  I don't have a lot of pain this time.  I should be ready by the 16th.  I will miss two starts."

Cueto doesn't feel it will be necessary to adjust his mechanics from the complete turn that has allowed him to excel on the mound.

"I talked to the doctor about my delivery.  They explained that it wasn't caused by my delivery.  If it was the oblique then I would think more about it.."

Villarreal was chosen over Tony Cingrani because Cingrani pitched two days ago.  He made 11 starts for the Louisville Bats, earning a 1-3 record with a 5.37 ERA.  In his last start on May 31 against Toledo, Villarreal pitched seven innings.  He allowed two runs on four hits and three walks. The Reds' seventh round pick in the 2008 draft also struck out three Mudhens.

Colorado manager Walt Weiss has some video on him but made no changes to his lineup which will be without Dexter Fowler, who is sick.  "We just don't want to make it easy on him by swinging at pitches out of the strike zone," Weiss said.

No comments:

Post a Comment