About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Chapman Gets His Chance to Start Again in 2013

The signing of Jonathan Broxton allows the Reds to move Aroldis Chapman to starting rotation.

Chapman was a starter in his native Cuba.  The Reds were preparing him to start for them but injuries created a new priority and Chapman was pressed into relief.

The 24-year old lefthander was successful enough in relief that he received votes for the Cy Young Award that rarely go to a non-starter.

The Reds obtained Broxton late in the season when they discovered that Chapman did not exhibit the stamina at this stage of his career to work effectively more that two games in a row.

Broxton allowed the Reds to rest Chapman and now allows the Reds to convert Chapman into a starter in 2013.

Chapman wants to starter.

"I enjoyed being a closer and I'm going to miss it, but I still like to be a starter," Chapman said through interpreter Tomas Vera.  "I would love to do both, but my career is so short and I always enjoyed being a starter.  That's what I want to do."

The move will require Chapman to "stretch out" his arm to build the stamina to pitch every fourth day.  He will need to build endurance to pitch a possible 200 innings.

"We haven't talked about the details yet," Chapman said through Vera, who is also one of the Reds' trainers.  "I don't have any worries about my arm. I am just going to prepare like I did before.  Nothing has changed."

Steve Watkins of the Business Courier wrote the following explaining his reasoning for the move.

http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/blog/2012/12/cincinnati-reds-chapman-b
est-in.html





Professionally edited by ML Schirmer
for proofreading services call
513-240-3120












No comments:

Post a Comment