About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Aaron Boone Connected With Cincinnati

Aaron Boone on Set 30 Teams 30 Days ESPN Show Airs Midnight
Aaron Boone connected with Cincinnati in a way he struggled to explain.  A native of La Mesa, California, the 39-year old Boone was named Grand Marshall of the 93rd annual Findlay Market Parade that precedes the Reds season opening tilt against the newly christened Miami Marlins on April 4.

"Some of you that know me know what Cincinnati means to me, what the Reds mean to me.  The fact that they asked me to do this is a great honor.  I happen to be doing the game for ESPN.  It ties in really well," Boone said.

Boone's reaction to being asked...."REALLY"

"I know what a big deal opening day is in Cincinnati. To be a part of it is pretty cool.  I'm excited.  I never got to experience the parade as a player.  I've been practicing elbow, elbow, wrist, wrist..(The parade wave)."

Boone, whose brother Bret played for Cincinnati at the time, was the Reds third round pick in the 1994 draft. He came through the Reds minor league system and made the big club in 1997.  He played his first six seasons of his 12-year career with Cincinnati.  He became a regular during the 1999 season.

Boone hit .271 as a Red with 86 home runs and 362 RBI.  He played under his father Bob Boone until the elder Boone was fired in July 1993 and Aaron was traded to the New York Yankees a few weeks later.

He hit a historic home run against the Boston Reds Sox that sent the Yankees to the 2003 World Series.  He played for Cleveland, Florida, Washington and Houston, until heart problems forced the end of his career.

Through his travels, his connection to Cincinnati remains.

"I don't know why I connected with Cincinnati.  I don't know if it was coming up in that organization, becoming a man, growing up, owning my first home in Cincinnati, all of the relationships I developed not only in the clubhouse, but in the organization, in the community.  It just always stuck with me and its a place that I always love going back to," Boone said.

No comments:

Post a Comment