About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Monday, February 27, 2012

Spring Training Adventure Provides Answers

Hal McCoy and I both had issues with our electronic devices.  McCoy's Kindle, full of 93 books, all of which he has either read or is reading, was on the fritz.  The 3/R button on my phone was inoperative.  I had to cut n paste an 'R' into every text and email.

We needed the 'Geek Squad" so we stopped by the best buy before our daily soup and salad.  McCoy needed his charger and didn't have it.  My phone is through Cincinnati Bell so I couldn't get any help.  It seemed like lost cause, then we made a discovery.  Raul and Theresea's our favorite Mexican Restaurant, a little shack south of the ballpark, had a more modern branch in the same shopping campus.

We ordered the "Mexican Hat Taco Salad.  The soup was something that we had never had or heard of "Menudo" soup.  We inquired about it.  The waitress, Michelle, who was outstanding by the way, couldn't adequately describe it so she brought us a sample.  Sold, it was as tasty as her service was swift and attentive.

McCoy wondered aloud what Menudo was.  I thought it meant, "New World".  When I was working in New York City, selling the first toy like PC's, the Commodore 64, Texas Instrument, Atari etc, little girls would come into the store and type on the display computers, "I love Menudo".  The little boys wrote, "I hate Menudo."

Menudo was a group of spanish speaking young boys.  I was told that Menudo meant New World.  One of the boys grew into a 90's pop star and had a hit with "Living La Vida Loca" but I could not come up with the name.  It drove me nuts temporarily.

I have two friends that I could use for a resource, the first Connie Schulten, can tell not only tell you which songs and artist sang, but who wrote it and the name of the background singers and each of the musicians.  The other, Mary Lou Schirmer, is similarly knowledgeable.  I sent an inquisitive text to both of them.

Mary Lou won this round of Name That Artist, a spin off of Name That Tune.  It was Ricky Martin, who was a member of Menudo before recording "Living La Vida Loca" to start his adult career.

Name That Tune was on morning TV when I sold appliances in New York, including home computers.

A colleague of mine, Clay Washington and I used to volunteer to dust the TV's while it was on so we could challenge each other. Since I was 10 years older than he, I would kick his butt.  I could recognize songs with just a couple notes but never the artist.  One of the local establishments, Majerle's has "Name That Tune" contests on Thursday.  Dan Majerle, of course is the former Western Michigan basketball player, who continued his career with the Phoenix Suns of the NBA.  The have "Live" karaoke too, which beats the alternative karaoke.

I would pay to see Mary Lou and Connie in a game of  "Name That Tune."  It would be a great match both know their music and lyrics.

It turns out neither of us needed the Geek Squad after all.  McCoy's Kindle mysteriously started working again.  My 3/R button returned to normal as mysteriously as it went away.

While we found answers on Sunday, the Reds seek answers.  We will be ready and willing to pass along those discoveries as they happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment